Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to multiply price by percentage and display result in new cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrgrassi

MIS
Feb 5, 2004
US
Good afternoon,

I am more of a hardware guy that just had a parts price catalog update placed on my lap. I am using Excel 2003. In this list we already have a column of what our cost is (say B). I need to mark it up by 15% and place the result in it's own cell to build the column (say Column D). I would like to know how to do this so that I do not have to calculate each one manually.

I have 1200 cells in Column B with the cost already entered in currency format. I know to muliply by 1.15.

Thanks!

RRGrassi

rrgrassi

Hi,

Assuming that your first price is in B2...
[tt]
D2: =B2*1.15
[/tt]
Copy

select the range of cells you want the formula in

paste.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]We know Newton's 3 Laws. But did you hear about the [red]FOURTH???[/red]
Only ONE fig per cookie![tongue][/sub]

Thanks Skip!

And then I would do the same for B3 through B1225 to correspond to D3 through D1225. Does that sound right?

Thanks!

RRGrassi

rrgrassi

you

COPY B2

SELECT B3:B1225

PASTE

FINE!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]We know Newton's 3 Laws. But did you hear about the [red]FOURTH???[/red]
Only ONE fig per cookie![tongue][/sub]

Or, alternate cool fast short-cut key method:
Easiest for adjacent columns

type into C2: =B2*1.15
then hit enter.

highlight cell C2 then, in succession

shift-left arrow
shift-control-end
shift-control-right arrow
control-d

OK, Cool, Thanks! It worked, except for one thing...

I have to convert the file to text for upload to the catalog company. When I convert the product to text, some of the values have 3 numerals to the right of the decimal instead of 2. Is there a truncate command that I can use to have the thousandths digit ignored?

Thanks again for all the help!

RRGrassi

rrgrassi

One of these functions should help

=Round(number,num_digits)
=Roundup(number,num_digits)
=RoundDown(number,num_digits)
=Text(number,formattext)

Substitute B2*1.15 for number
2 for num_digits

(If you wanted to round to the nearest $10 you would use -1 for the number of digits)

Once you have your formula copy down as suggested above.

Thanks,

Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back