Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to move Terminal Services profiles? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2003
US
I'm looking for tips on how to move the Terminal Services profiles of my users.

I have a couple dozen users on a W2K Terminal Services machine. I'm in the process of replacing that server with a new box.
The user's Term Svc profiles are currently stored in the default location on the current terminal server. What's the most transparent way to move their profiles to the new server?

Thanks.

I was looking for a solution to this, too.

I ran out of time, so I copied the profile to a public folder, and dragged it onto the new server. It has worked...so far.

Let us know what the "real" answer is :)

What I ended up doing was to enable Terminal Services Roaming Profiles. Once all users had established a TS Roaming Profile I replaced the old server with the new.

When the users logged onto the new server they used the profile from the TS Roaming Profile location. Widows created a local copy, too, on the server, so after all users had logged onto the new server at least once I could disable TS roaming profiles and the user used the local profile on the new server thereafter.

If you make a ntbackup of the tsprofile directory you can restore the ntbackup to the location of your choice. Another option is to use the dos command xcopy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back