Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Move a window that is bigger than the screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

erixire

Technical User
Jun 4, 2002
CA
Hi,

Is it possible with Windows 2000 to move a window (exemple: a message Box that as too much text, so doesn't fit the screen) that is too big to fit the screen? Because I have this problem and I want to see what is written at the bottom of this window. Is there something like a key combination + "mouse move" to move that window?

Thanks

Try this,
Alt+SpaceBar, press M, press arrow keys to move the window

Regards

-- AirCon --

Yeah, I already tried it but it doesn`t work if you try to put the window in the top of the screen. It seems like windows detect when you cannot see the title bar and re-move the window so you still click in the title bar. But I want to be able to move a window outside the top of the screen so I can click some buttons at is bottom. Can somebody help me (thanks anyway AirCon, I wasn`t specific in my request)?

Can you change your screen resolution from say, 1024 x 768 to 1280 x 1024? (just as an example) This ought to bring your "large" window into view...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Actually, I think that even at the highest resolution, I would not be able to see it. The thing is that the window is not large, but very long. It's a message box with a lot of information (which I cannot control). But it really seems like Windows doesn't want you to put a title bar higher than the top of the visible screen. If somebody knows something about that, let me know please. Thanks for everbody's help.

What if you have a second monitor with enlarged desktop, and place that *under* (or above) your primary monitor?

HTH
TonHu

Well,

I don't have another monitor (my card doesn't support it) and I think that this box can be bigger than 2 monitor screen. So I'm still stuck with the problem. Maybe someone will come up with something else? Thanks for all your help guys.

You could try ALT+M followed by S and then attempt to see if it can be resized

This will only work if you cannot set the resolution higher than that because the monitor does not support it but the card can, and the computer is on a network.

try isntalling VNC from :

Start VNC server, set the resolution as high as it can go. It doesn't matter if the monitor cannot display it. Then, access the computer from another remote computer. I manage to play around a 1280 x 1024 on a 800 x 600. I don't think any resolution would be a problem.

VNC is free, by the way.

but i would try mrtweaks's tip first.

Hey erixire,

Click on the bottom of the window and drag to below it. This will scroll the window. You can bring it back by reversing and going to the top of the window, click and drag. Just be careful not to click on a link.

Good Luck,

Chris. M.

I've had a similar before, and at that point in time my monitor didn't have variable resolution like today.

If you are certain that this is a message box then I only have this suggestion...

1) Take a picture of it while it's the active window by using Alt + PrntScrn,
2) Close that MsgBox,
3) Open MSPaint and PASTE it.

When you use MSPaint, It'll ask you if you want to expand the "workarea" cause the pic is too large...click "YES". Then you should be able to scroll around to your heart's desire.

In the meantime, contact the vendor and tell them of your problem. See if there's an upgrade/fix for this. Using these steps is ok for a few times, but let me tell you, it gets annoying really, really, REALLY fast.

--MiggyD

Thanks to everyone, but, as far as I can see, there is no way to let a window be above the screen. Some of your tips helped me anyway. Too bad you can do that with Windows. I think Linux does it (I'm not sure) but that's another story (I don`t want to start a Linux-Windows war here). Have a nice day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back