Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to move a database without breaking reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

malcolmt

Programmer
Mar 21, 2001
AU
Hi there,

I'm using CR9/CE9 and (moving to) CRXI/BOEXI with reports based on SQL Server 2000 stored procedures via odbc file dsn.

I have a problem that I have been trying to work out with BO Tech Support and it's about to crash down on me.

Later this week one of our key SQL Server databases is to be moved to a different server/machine. The database name will remain the same.

This will require me to do a set datasource location for each report, migrate to enterprise production and then reschedule to get them going again!

Left as is, with the same dsn simply repointed to the new server results in a "Database Connector Error".

Tried changing database connection information via CMC/process/database, to erase database name & prefix but still get the same error.

I know of one other site here in Australia that has the same problem and is also desperately seeking a solution.

Has anyone else had to deal with this and if so, were you able to find any solution to resolve or get around the problem?

Thanks,

Malcolm.

Thanks for the reply.

I do have APOS Object Manager, but it's capability to set database logon applies to the settings that you see in CMC/Process/Database - not to what is within the report itself which is where the problem seems to be.

I have also tried .rpt Inspector Enterprise, but it also encounters the "database connector error" when trying to set the datasource. That tool still prompts for stored procedure parameters to verify so it would not save me much time at all time compared to going to each report via CR Designer.

Ultimately I am searching for a way of divorcing CR from any specific reference to both database name and database server? i.e. So that CR just goes wherever the dsn takes it to find the tables/views/procedures that it uses.

Thanks,

Malcolm.

If you do not mind using a third party tool, one of the 18 tools in .rpt Inspector Enterprise Suite has the ability to do batch data source / database migration and conversion. And it is on the report level (even for reports you open directly from CE / BO).

So it's basically a batch change data source / set location / convert driver / verify.

You can get a FREE trial here:

Change all the reports by replacing server names with (local). In future you will be able to move your reports to any server.

The solution to set the server name to (local) would only work if indeed there was only one (local) server.

I have been trying to solve this problem with CR for a couple of months. Each time I think I have the ahah moment it comes around to bite me.

BO provides code and it looks so convincing but it does not work!

Their framework carries very very little documentation.

The more I look, the more I realize others are in the same predicament.

If I find the solution I will spread it far and wide. I hope others do the same.

I was wondering if stephengb every find a solution. We are coming up to the same problem and I have desire to do set location for 200+ reports and I do think my company likes the third party idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back