Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to mount usb flash drive for users on Fedora2 Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2002
GB
Hi Gurus,
I would like to let users mount the usb flash drives without giving su privilages, so they can mount read and write just like the floppy drive, presently I am including each user on /etc/sudoers and they mount by sudo command which I want to do away. How do I make the system mount automatically when the usb device is plugged in?
Thanks in advance for your help

Thanks jiman, I think I have hotplug installed as I am able to
mount by placing the /dev/sda1 entry in the fstab as explained in the link

but the problem is that the /etc/fstab reverts back to default after reboot, how can I make the entry in fstab permanent, so that the device is available to normal users.
Thanks for your help

can you post your /etc/fstab file in order to understand what are you looking for.

--Are you sur that you are saving correctly your /etc/fstab after any change? Sorry for asking but sometimes this things are happening.

why knoppix-hd-install?????? what editor did you use?

willing2learn wrote:
I am able to
mount by placing the /dev/sda1 entry in the fstab as explained in the link
So I assume the editor saves successfully.

Knoppix is a live-cd, and - depending on the installation (which isn't the first idea of a live cd) - it checks the hardware on every boot, and recreates fstab for example.

That would match the observed behaviour.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Thanks Stefan/Jiman
I am running fedora2(kernal 2.6.5-1) you are right it does check for new hardware at boot and then updates the /etc/fstab, this explains why it reverts back to default, How do I turn off this service so that it won't update the /etc/fstab at boot.
Many Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated

Kudzu is usually what does that, but it shouldn't remove anything that it didn't put there, and I've never seen it remove anything without asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back