Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to mount aix filesystem to windows2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

lblauen

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
What software or tools do I need to make this happen. Or any directions on how to do this. I need to mount a aix filesystem onto my windows 2000 system to use as a local disk for storage. I don't waht to ftp my files there. I would like to use the mount as a normal disk. Any ideas??

Thanks

Look at Samba. This does everything you need for this.

I tried samba but it's docs don't tell you much about installing it. I have it installed I think but I can't get windows to see it. I guess my smb.conf file is wrong. I can do the command smbclient //mysystem/mydir from the AIX system and I get a prompt and can list my files. But from windows it doesn't see it. I clicked on my network places and looked in workgroups and nothing there. I tried the
net use u: //mysystem/mydir and it doesn't see
the system even though its in dns. There must be a easier way to do it. Any more Ideas??

Sorry but thats just way to diffcult to understand. I have read the doc and still haven't a clue on how to set this thing up. The install manual tells me to : Refer to the manual of your operating system for details on installing packages for your specific operating system. That is no help at all. I down loaded the version 3xx and need to install it on a AIX system. It doesn't install with smitty but I did find some rpm files which you install with rpm -iv *.rpm. But I don't see files for AIX. The manual is way to high level for me I need more basic instructions.

Use SFU. It does NOT require an install on the AIX platform. If you are Win person and know nothing about AUX / Unix, go down this path.

what is SFU and who makes it??

SFU (Services for UNIX) is a set of tools and libraries that you can download from Microsoft directly. Microsoft use to charge for it but now they give it away for free. It basically allows you to intergrate UNIX into Windows for file sharing, managments, etc. I've tried to use it several times with AIX 5.2 using NFS and have yet to get it to work correctly....

Samba is the ticket. I would recommend taking the time to understand it.

It's a little bit of work to get started, but nothing more than ever other linux tool I put on an rs6000. IBM published a redbook on installing and configuring an older version of samba (that works). They also have the rpm's available from the IBM website via the linux toolbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back