Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to migrate from one domain to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

forbsy

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
CA
Here's the rundown. Company external domain name is domain.com. When they designed their Active Directory (AD) they also called it domain.com. Their Exchange 2003 organization domain is domain.com.

They'd now like to migrate to a new AD domain and call it corp.domain.com. My question is what is the easiest method to move the users, groups, computers over to the new domain? I was thinking Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT).

They'd like to keep their Exchange org as domain.com. Is there any reason to do an Exchange migration? I would just think that as long as the Exchange server got moved to the new domain (corp.domain.com) that would be enough. Am I incorrect with that assumption?

In the end the client would like their users to be able to log onto new domain (corp.domain.com) and access all resources (file/print), including their Exchange mailboxes as before.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply 58sniper.

Although a domain rename is possible, it's a complex process that frankly I'd rather not attempt. The infrastructure is on VMware ESX, so spinning up a new Windows server and building a new domain is not difficult. It's the migration of the users, groups and computers (including Exchange 2003) that I'm worried about.

Any suggestions?

I just did a quick read up on domain rename. This is one of the prerequisites of the domain rename tool:

Exchange must not be installed on domain controllers
To use the domain rename operation, Exchange must not be installed on any domain controllers (if Exchange is loaded on a DC deinstal Exchange from it)

Unfortunately, it's a small company (less than 40 users) and they do infact have Exchange running on the DC, so domain rename is definitely out.

Well, that's not entirely true :) Yes,it's best practice to separate the two, but I've run Exchange on a DC for many years without any problems.

What are some of the most compelling reasons not to run Exchange on a DC?

Actually, don't worry about answering that. I'd like to keep the thread on topic.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to perform the domain migration, including Exchange?

Well, that's not entirely true :)
Actually, it is. The only time Microsoft recommends having Exchange on DC is with SBS. It is otherwise recommended to NOT be on a DC.

Yes,it's best practice to separate the two, but I've run Exchange on a DC for many years without any problems.
That still has nothing to do with whether it SHOULD be on a DC. There are plenty of resource issues, security issues, and stability issues as to why it should not be put on a domain controller.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Like everything else in IT I think it depends on the situation. As I mentioned I've run that config for years in a small branch office with an extremely small # of users/mailboxes. Yes, when you're dealing with multiple administrators with different duties, hundreads/thousands of users/mailboxes I'd agree that security, stability and performence enter into the equation. But when you have one admin with 20 users/mailboxes it's not compareable.
I'm speaking from experience, not Microsoft best practices. Best practices are meant to be a guide - not the bible.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back