Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to migrate exchange 2003 mailboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2007
JO
Hi,
I have an environment of exchange server 2003 one as a front-end on windows server 2003 and 2 exchange server 2003 on windows 2000 server as back-end.
now I want to migrate to new servers with windows server 2003 how to migrate all mailboxes from ( the windows 2000 server exchange 2003) to ( windows 2003 server exchange 2003).
I did seize all of the FSMO Roles from old DC to new DC.

[google]move mailbox exchange 2003[/google]

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Keep in mind that there are many more steps to migrating everything off of an Exchange server.

You mentioned seizing the FSMO roles. I'm assuming you had a total failure of a DC, and it's never going to be turned back on?

You're not putting Exchange on a domain controller, are you?

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Free, Is your 2 Exchange server on the backend a cluster?

I have a similar setup. Front-End server with 2 node cluster on the back-end. I am trying to figure out the best way of moving the Exchange system from a front-end / back-end with cluster to a front-end / back-end with single front-end server and single back-end server (new hardware).

I was given this article on another thread. It might help with what you are trying to do.

That KB article is the Bible on migrating Exchange. Follow it from top to bottom and you'll rarely have problems.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Thanks 58sniper. I'll be sure to follow that article.

But that article seems to focus on the Exchange Back-end server. What about the front end? Do I follow the article twice? Once for the front-end and once for the back-end (cluster)?

Most of what's in the KB article wouldn't necessarily apply to a FE box, because they don't typically host those services.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Do you have any guidance on how to move the front-end box over to new hardware? Or should I just set it up as if it were a new front end server after I move the Exchange data/roles/etc. from the back-end cluster to the new back-end single server?

That's likely what I would do. YMMV, though.

But Front-End servers don't typically have much data on them, so just replacing them with another server usually doesn't cause any problems. The usual caveats apply - do you need to redirect incoming traffic to the new FE box?

Microsoft Exchange MVP

Thanks. The current front-end server doesn't serve any other purpose except OWA.

I would like to make the front-end server handle POP clients, OWA and SMTP mail flow. This way I can run my ScanMail for Exchange and eManager (anti spam) on the front end server.

The back-end server will handle the mailboxes and MAPI client connections from the LAN. As well as the roles that need to be transferred according to the article you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back