Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to merge two mailboxes with identical names from two different databases 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmf71

Technical User
Mar 2, 2003
NL
Hi,

First of all, I am not an exchange expert. So bear with me if i seem a bit noob in this matter.

My customer had a server crash. He managed to get a new server up and running, but here's the thing: he created all new mailboxes. Mail has been coming into these mailboxes for a week now so they're all well-filled by now. Problem is the old mailbox database. He managed to salvage it from the crashed server, and it contains tons of email and he wants all that mail dumped into the new mailboxes. There are 8 mailboxes to merge. I managed to mount the old mailbox database (renamed it to "old email") and placed it into the second storage group. However, exchange does not see the mailboxes in the old email database. I've been scouring google for ways to merge the mailboxes but i cant seem to get the right answer. It all pertains to merging mailboxes from the same database, or between forests.

This is not what i want. I one term, i want to merge email from two mailboxes from two different mailbox databases, on the same server. Preferably, the merged data should be in the primary mailbox database in the first storage group.

I never had much to do with exchange, i prefer kerio connect as it's much easier to deploy and maintain in smaller environments. But i kinda got thrown in the deep end with this. I am hoping someone can give me an answer, preferably with not too much jargon.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Oh , i forgot.

It's exchange server 2007 SP3.

Damn me. I am not supplying all the info again. My Bad.

Biggest problem of all is that the mailboxes to merge all have identical names. So mailbox "john" from database "old email" has to be merged with mailbox "john" in database "Mailbox database".

So there it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To start, you should mount that mailbox database in a Recovery Storage Group. Once it's there, you can use the Database Recovery Tools in the Tools section of the GUI to pull the data from the RSG into the production mailboxes, and it gives you several choices on how you want to map the names/accounts from one to the other, and you should find a mapping convention that will work for you.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Yes, either use the RSG to push the data directly into the live store or exmerge the data out of the DB to PST and inject it into the live store. This is fairly straight forward either way and is fairly standard practice.

thanks or the replies, i am going to look into this asap. Will let you know if it all works out.

Well, i made the recovery storage group, and managed to mount the old mailbox database into the RSG, while linked to the first storage group. I had to manually match mailboxes, because the mailbox GUIDs are of course all different from the mailboxes in the brand new exchange installation (no restored backup or anything). And the first mailbox i tried to merge gave the following error:

Error merging mailbox (/O=FIRST ORGANIZATION/OU=EXCHANGE ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=TON) into user (Ton). Error message is: Unexpected error [0xE63B3F19] while executing command 'restore-mailbox -Identity Ton -rsgdatabase "MEV-SMH-NT1\Recovery Storage Group\Mailbox Database" -rsgmailbox "/O=FIRST ORGANIZATION/OU=EXCHANGE ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=TON" -TargetFolder -BadItemLimit 0'..

I hope one of you can give me an answer to this one.

And yes, i analysed the databases and they're both in clean shutdown state.

Man, exchange sure can give one a hell of a headache...

Thanks in advance lads...

Duh!

It appears that with manual matching, you have to put an asterisk in the target folder... ##%$@#^@$#^%@#$^%@#!!!!!

Anyways, I got everything done. All 11 mailboxes merged and everybody is happy :)

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back