Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Merge data from table 2 to table 1 based on common field

Status
Not open for further replies.

vc1881

Programmer
Nov 9, 2008
US
mySQL_Statement = "INSERT INTO IDENTIFICATION_DATA(code) (SELECT RN FROM REFERENCE_DATA(RN) WHERE IDENTIFICATION_DATA.NIIN = REFERENCE_DATA.NIIN)"

Dim ConnectionString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=|DataDirectory|\aopt2002orgorg.mdb;Persist Security Info=True;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=testaopupdate"
Dim objConnection As New OleDb.OleDbConnection(ConnectionString)

'data adapter
Dim objDataAdapter As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(mySQL_Statement, objConnection)

'dataset object
Dim objDataSet As New DataSet
'fill dataset
objConnection.Open()
objDataAdapter.Fill(objDataSet, "SN")
objConnection.Close()

Hello again, I''m getting the following error on theobjDataAdapter.Fill(objDataSet, "SN") line.

Invalid SQL statement; expected 'DELETE', 'INSERT', 'PROCEDURE', 'SELECT', or 'UPDATE'.

Below is the complete code.

Dim mySQL_Statement As String = ""
mySQL_Statement = "Update([identification_data]" & vbNewLine
mySQL_Statement = "INNER(Join)" & vbNewLine
mySQL_Statement = "reference_data" & vbNewLine
mySQL_Statement = "ON identification_data.niin = reference_data.niin " & vbNewLine
mySQL_Statement = "SET [identification_data].code = [reference_data].RN"

Dim ConnectionString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=/DataDirectory/\aopt2002orgorg.mdb;Persist Security Info=True;Jet OLEDBatabase Password=testaopupdate"
Dim objConnection As New OleDb.OleDbConnection(ConnectionString)

'data adapter
Dim objDataAdapter As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(mySQL_Statement, objConnection)

'dataset object
Dim objDataSet As New DataSet
'fill dataset
objConnection.Open()
objDataAdapter.Fill(objDataSet, "SN")
objConnection.Close()

can you please help me fix this error

Thanks,

Victor

the way you have written it the string mySQL_Statement ends up with 'SET [identification_data].code = [reference_data].RN' in it - try mySQL_Statement += instead of = when you are building the sql line

Hello,

I got it to work with the following SQL:

Dim mySQL_Statement As String = "UPDATE identification_data " & vbNewLine & _
" INNER JOIN " & vbNewLine & _
" reference_number_data " & vbNewLine & _
" ON identification_data.niin " & _
" = reference_number_data.niin " & vbNewLine & _
" SET identification_data.code = " & _
" concat(identification_data.code,reference_number_data.rn)

well done - as an aside i wasnt aware that the vbnewline was needed in an sql string - however of course at least 1 space is - makes it easier to read in debug mode i suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back