Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to manage laptops with SMS 2.0 (sp2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hork

MIS
Nov 27, 2000
US
Hello All,

How should you manage laptops in a multi-master NT domain and SMS 2.0 hierarchy where laptops logon at different locations to the network (different SMS site with different IP subnet) and where the laptops dial-up via RAS (also different subnet).

I have read about "Travel Mode", which sound to a solution. But I have also read about "Multi-site clients" with a "principal site".

How should I plan the situation in which I want to manage laptops no matter they are logged on from any location or dialed in via RAS.

Is there any reading (whitepaper) about laptops in SMS?

Thanks,
Harrie

Our laptops do not run SMS over dial-up connections we check for the dial-up IP subnets during the logon script. If a dial-up subnet is detected the script drops out.
As to logon from different locations, if you check the SMS applet in control panel on the client, you can check the radio box next to 'This client logons from different locations.'
With this enabled the client will only report to its site regardless of where it logons.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Hork,

I want to be completely honest with you so you should know that I am a software vendor.

My company, Open Software Associates, has a new solution --netDeploy Global for Microsoft SMS -- which is an extension of our mature flagship product, netDeploy Global.

This solution is a true compliment to SMS because we are not advocating that you use it =INSTEAD= of SMS but use us to fill in the critical areas where SMS could use additional horsepower, namely deployment of software to, and management of, disconnected, beyond the firewall users.

If you're not successful in solving your dilemma, please call us and we can give you a much more in-depth picture of what our SMS solution can do for you.

In the meantime please visit us online at:
--william davenport / 603.886.4330

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back