Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to make win2k server see my dual cpu 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hungster

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2001
CA
just ghost my server from one cpu to a dual cpu, when i click on task manager, it only shows one cpu
any way to re-activate the 2nd one without re-installing it ?

Right Click My Computer.-> Properties
Hardware , Device Manager
Select > Computer , and expand.
You will see something like : Uni Processor PC.
Change the driver to a multi CPU :)

Good Luck.

The manufacturer of the Server will have a setup program(on web maybe) that will update the kernel and other files to set the box in multi mode. You should use the setup from the manufacturer in case they requier bios updates or custom drivers for the WIndows system.

I have done this for Compaq Proliant with the Resources Kit utility (didn't work) and with the setup program on the CD shipped withthe Proliant (did work.

As an alternat you can usually re-install the OS with bot CPU installed and have the correct kernel load. Do an "upgrade install" i believe works.

OOPS!
Here is a more complete answer from another thread. The poster is givenat the end

To change from Uniprocessor to multiprocessor,

Please make sure you have a full backup !!!

Right click on the UNIprocessor, update driver, choose from list, choose APCI multiprocessor.

Reboot the machine

If this is of anyuse:

On the taks bar: right click, taskmanager, performance.

This should show 2 CPU's

Also if you go into the following:

control panel, system, device manager, expand computer.

This should show multiprocessor rather then UNIprocessor.

I still recommend checking with server vendor for any setups that might be required for your server.

i got it, i did exactly what jaxone said, under APCI
it works, setup up disk doesn't sometime quite work, i am trying to convert a dell precision workstation dual intel 700 to be a server, just adding extra cooling for my cheetah drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back