Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make user local admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

larsjuhl

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2001
DK
I would like make all users member of their local administrator group by default without having to do it manually... I dont care If all users are administrators of all workstations.

any suggestions how this can be done ?

appreciate any help

rgds,
Lars

you can use Restricted Groups in group policy, but this will allow all users administrative access to any computers you put in the affected OU, as opposed to just a single user to single computer ratio. Or you could assign a user based login script and include the line:

NET LOCALGROUP ADMINISTRATORS /ADD %USERNAME%

brontosaurus - I am trying to do the same here and tried you logon script but it fails with the "insufficient rights" message when I try to run it with a new user. Any ideas? Thanks.

If you use the login script you can use the runas command(on Windows 2000) or the su.exe from the res kit, however this will require the administrator account credentials to be entered in to the command string posing a security risk as this is in clear text. By running the command within an encrypted vbs file (then removing the file shortly after) will provide a minimal security level whilst condcting the task.

TopGun> that script will fail because a normal user doesn't have permissions to add users to the admin group.

Grouppolicy is the way to go

Thx,
Making a GP with Domain Users as "Resticted Group" will that make them Local Administrators?
is that really all? dont I have to give them special rights or anytning?

Actually, I just did the same thing. Here is the knowledge base article straight from Microsoft on how to accomplish this:

--Roger

Here is my situation, if anyone can help that would be much appreciated:

1.) Joining people to a domain that now log into their local systems.

2.) Need their new domain account to be local admins on their system. Their account is to be the only local admin on their system other than the built in and domain admins of course.

3.) Have a staff that needs this done with a logon script, etc.

I have two scripts set up to run when the domain user account logs on to set them up as local admins.

The first logon script runs the "runas" command with a domain admin credicials and points to the second script to be run with those credicials.

The second has the "NET LOCALGROUP ADMINISTRATORS /ADD %USERNAME%" command.

The problem is that the %username% variable refers back to the domain admin and not to the user logging on I guess. I get the 'user is already a member of that group' message.

When I hard code in a test user such as 'NET LOCALGROUP ADMINISTRATORS /ADD domain\testuser" it works just fine. The problem with that obviously is that someone would have to change the 'domain\testuser' part for every new user that joins the domain. Is there a better way to do this? It seems the GPO method would be suited for a group of users to be local admins on a bunch of systems and doesn't help me in this case. Thanks much

TG

thanks for the link "porcellir" that did the trick I was looking for!

great

love this forum!

Lars

I found out the solution to my own issue above.. you need to throw a /env switch in the 'runas' script. This puts it in the current user's context and not the admin's. Thank you Top Gun :)

TG

HEy TopGun,
glad you could help your self :eek:)
can I see your "runas" script I wanna try what you are doing.. if its ok

rgds,
Lars

Here you go Lars, enjoy. The logon.bat script runs NET LOCALGROUP ADMINISTRATORS /ADD %USERNAME%

runas /env /user:domain\admin "\\dc\sysvol\domain.com\scripts\logon.bat"

TG

topgun
I have made the 2 scripts but it prompts me for the admin password I dont want that :eek:) and when I give the password I get ERROR 5 Access denied
have I misunderstood it all ?

Hi Lars,

I don't know what that error is that you are getting. The password is necessary, although there may well be a way to hard code the password in the logon script itself but I wouldn't go that way.

TG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back