Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make square frame round a logo transparent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

MIS
Apr 8, 2001
GB
Front Page 2000

I have copied a black and white line logo onto a pale blue background in one cell of a table but because the original was printed on white paper, before scanning, it sits on a white rectangle. I need to remove the white bacground of the logo to let the blue cell background show through, but cannot seem to achieve it.

I have tried the 'Make Transparent' button and although this does make an attempt to put matters right it only results in a patchy blue and white background.

Another attempt was made to go back to PSP, where the logo was copied, to place it on the same coloured background but I couldn't discover how to do that either.

I know - I'm an idiot!

Please can someone help!

Eric

if you use psp and open the image, then repaint the background, a different colour... Then choose to export the pic as a transparent gif, and choose the colour you painted the background as the colour to be omited, it will save it wiht the background invisable, or transparent

Thanks for the reply but I can't get PSP to colour the background. The background is white (with a black image) and I can only get a greyscale pallette to appear on the screen. I have also tried Photoshop 6 but it just refuses to accept a colour. Perhaps it is to do with the layers thing - something I don't understand but must now make an efort to.

is the white space all together..
if so... can you open it up in your graphic program... make a square or whatever the color of your background, place it OVER the space and group the two images together?

Kjonnnn, thanks for your help. I have tried getting the logo onto a background of pale blue by loading it into MS Publisher and using the 'colour fill' command, but it refuses to accept any colouring.

I have had a limited success in FP 2000 using the 'make transparent' button but it puts a strange pattern of colour mixed with white on the background. I really don't understand it because some of the texturing is quite geometric in nature, odd rectangles, etc. filling about 50 per cent of the area.

To create an image with a transparent background, you need to have a program you can edit images with (not FrontPage)--Photo Draw, Adobe, Corel Draw, etc. In the image program, save it as a transparent GIF.

Linda Adams
Linda Adams/Emory Hackman Official Web site Official web site for actor David Hedison:

Eric,

There is a free online service where you should be able to accomplish this. Go to Start with "File", "Browse" to find your file and then click "Upload".

Now go to "Edit" scroll this menu to the bottom and pick "Format Convert" if your image is not already a GIF.

Then "Effects" and scroll down to "Set Transparent" You will then need to click on the area of your image for the color you wish remove and finally click the "Set Transparent" button. I have used this to change a number of JPG files to transparent GIF files. Depending on the background, I occasionally see a little white fuzz but overall for free, this site works for me.

Micheal

To remove the white background in the logo in psp7 open the image in psp7, if it is named background that has to be changed to anything (1,2,3...), then you can use the magic wand to remove the white background. The magig wand is not good around curved images. It will leave a white feathering. The lasso works better around curves in point-to-point style. Once the background is removed open another palette the same size as your logo, if you want to put in the background color of you web page so it matches uniformly you do that with the fill tool and select the color you want. Go back to your logo and copy it from where it is at to the new palette onto the background you choose and they you are. Sometimes psp7 wont let you change the name of an imported image. To get around this, open a new palette the same size, go back to your logo and copy it to the new palette and rename it. then follow the other steps. This should work. Joe

Many thanks for numerous replies. I can't get to try them at the moment due to other pressures but hope to in the next few days.

Thanks again.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back