Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make my application runs directly when windows start???

Status
Not open for further replies.

maltobji

Programmer
Feb 13, 2001
JO
Dear ALl,
I'm wondering how would i make my app. starts when the Windows98 starts..(even before loading the desktop icons or the tray...).... like an Autherization Application that would not allow person to enter windows unless he enter the correct user name and Password....

thanks for any help...
Mohammed Al-Tobji
Electrical Engineer

Another thing Please,...
Could any body tell me .. how can i LOCK the desktop and System tray from being accessed ....(by mouse or Keyboard)

SO the user can not go out from the autherization window ...

Thanks in advance
Mohammed Al-Tobji
Electrical Engineer

Sorry, but I do not know of a "perfect" solution in code to your problem. There are some things that you can do to lock the PC down, but in the Win9x line, there are always ways to get around them. Just as a thought, if you are conserned about security, maybe you should consider WinNT or 2000? Just a thought . . .
- Jeff Marler B-)

Hi,

About ur problem of running ur program before the windows start :

I am worrying that before windows start it is possible or not, but u can put ur application in autoexec.bat file. Then unless ur program get correct input, nobody can proceed further.

Hope u get some help.

hsk007 :cool:

The thing is it will never be truly secure even if you do use HSK007 code because i'll i would have to do is power off the computer//insert start up disk//dos//edit autobat//

But if it just needs to float not be 100% air tight i believe HSK's is the best Brad,
Free mp3 player,games and more.

Regarding hsk007 comments, I have a few concerns (and I may be wrong on this . . . I don't work on Win9x machines for the most part anymore). In Win9x, doesn't the AutoExec.bat run before Windows has started (i.e. before the system switches over to Protected Mode operation). And if that is the case, then the code would need to be DOS (true 16 bit DOS, not the Windows Command Console) compliant? If this were the case, then the app would need to be written in an older 16 bit compiler.
Another place that you could place the call to your app in the Run key in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run). These programs would be run the moment Windows start and you could use 32 bit programming. - Jeff Marler B-)

thanx all for ur concern and ur time...
but i may be miss declare the problem...
i'm not working on an application that runs before windows..
i want an application that runs first when windows start...
the application should prevent the user from accessing any thing (desktop icons or start menu...).. unless he enter the correct username and password ....

thanx again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back