Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make lines not usable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2005
US
Hello,

we have a merlin magix with 10 lines, 4 of the lines (lines 1-4) are dead because of a lightning strike. We are still getting ringing on those lines but once we pick it up we cant here anything nor do people on the other line.

Is there a way for me to program through the phones to make those 4 lines inaccessible so they dont ring and just go to the lines that are working.

I cant forward the actual land line number because they are dead and i dont get a dial tone.

thanks in advance

The hunt sequence is established in the Central Office.

The only way I know to force calls to the working phone lines would be to make it look like the lines are busy.

One option would be to unplug the lines from the Merlin, connect either a 1 or 2 line telephone to each of the bad lines and leave them off-hook.

If the Magix operates in Key Mode and a system telephone has access to the 4 lines, you could try putting all 4 lines on hold.

You could do as Pepperz says or call Telco repair and have them busy the lines until you get replacement modules for your system.

....JIM....

What is the total number of lines that your system can accomodate?

10 is an odd number, should be something like 12, or 16, or some multiple of 4. Then remove 1 for Music on Hold, and another if you have loudpeaker paging.

Then, if you have room, move the lines to ports that are still working, and reprogram the pools and line appearances.

That, or contact a vendor to replace the bad card!

thanks, i will use this for future reference, the guy showed up shortly after I posted this.

I also ordered an extra card just in case this happens again so I can just swap it out myself.

Since you have proven that your system is susceptible to lightening hits, I would recommend that you double check your grounding and get IROBS for your system as well.

How many extensions are wired out of your building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back