Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make letters more narrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanbeugen

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2005
NL
In the html below I want to make the letters more narrow. I read about Css-property font-strech but I cannot get the letters more narrow. Could someone help? I know about letter-spacing property, but that makes the space bewteen the letters smaller and I want to make the letters themselves more narrow. Or is there another way to achieve this?

This is the HTML:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">

<style type="text/css"><!--
h1 { color: #D16700; font-weight: 700; font-size: 56px; font face: Arial; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; line-height: 66px;}
h2 { color: #D16700; font-weight: 700; font-size: 56px; font face: Arial-black; text-align: left; letter-spacing: -6px; line-height: 66px; }
h3 { color: #D16700; font-weight: 700; font-size: 56px; font face: Arial-black; text-align: left; font-stretch: ultra-condensed; text-decoration: none; line-height: 66px; }

-->
</style>

</head>

<body>

<H1>Communication Training</H1>
<H2>Communication Training</H2>
<H3>Communication Training</H3>

</body>

</html>

Use a different font? In any case, it is smart to always provide a generic font at the end of your font list. And if that generic font is slightly different to the font you've been using, it might cause a lot of trouble for you.

When designing websites, you will need to abandon the hope to design pixel perfect solutions. Opt for something that will look good across most browsers.

Hi Vragabond,

Do you mean to say: it's impossible what you (I) want?

Speaking typographically, messing with the appearance of fonts is always risky unless you really understand type.

Typography is an art. Someone, somewhere spent alot of time getting the shape of those letters just right. Altering that balance often leads to things that don't look great.

Generally, web fonts have been selected because of the way they work on screen. They are pretty much right, as it were.

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Earl & Thompson Marketing - Marketing Agency Services in Gloucestershire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back