Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to make ip netmask ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivoestg

Programmer
Mar 21, 2001
PT
hello
can you explain how can i know the ip address of network and broadcast from one ip address and netmask??? thanks...

I'm in ivoestg@yahoo.com

before going into all the binary math and doing bolean and's....
do you have a more specific question..
ie if you told me your ip and netmask i could tell you
your network, # of hosts and broadcast addresses.

But... giving out an IP address and netmask over the internet, could be considered a security risk...

Joe F.

I am going to assume you are using a IP address VERY similar to 192.168.1.x most NAT devices make 192.168.x.x subnets for your local hosts.

lets pretend your DSL router is 192,168,1,1 and that it gives out addresses from 192.168,1,2 to 192.168.1.254 for your local subnet.

in this scenario and address in side 192.168.1.x is directly addressable and does not need the router so the subnet has 0s in the last octet x.x.x.0 Any address out side 192.168.1.x does need the router to relay them to another subnet so all the upper 3 octets are 1s 255.255.255.x since that describes all 4, 255.255.255.0 we are done.

Life gets trickier if you want subnets with boundries not at the dots. ie bigger than 256 but less than 16 million. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back