Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make index only??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeDam

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2001
BE
What should i specified for "save set" in client configuration to backup only the index?? Currently "All" is specified... if i put "index" is that good?

You can do a savegrp -O to backup only the client index. However, this is done from the command line.

What are you trying to accomplish by backing up only the index?

I think it is important to understand why you want to accomplish this before making a recommendation.

cheers,
bozo

I had to do this. In my case, I have Netware clients that have just about every problem in the book. (They are known Legato bugs. Nothing I can do about them)One of them is savesets restarting themselves after completing. Rather than wait another hour for it to complete after everything else finishes, I kill the backup, restart the database on the server, then restart the backup with only the index.

When 15 extra minutes of downtime can mean a loss of $100,000, you have to do what you can. I am pushing to dump this backup solution and explore other options. Netware service is horrible, even with client version 4.2.

In a lot of cases, index backups etc are only done on the completion of a savegroup, if for some reason you aren't utilising this funtionality of networker, but have backups running wrappers around save etc, then it is wise to setup a cron job to ensure an index backup is performed each and every day......
in cron just start a savegrp as follows
(create a savegroup called lets say 'Indexes')
savegrp -l full -O Indexes

just make sure all your clients that dont have an index backup done as part of this savegroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back