Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make GIF from Chart in Excel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flareman

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
I need to create an independent net-portable graphic (GIF, PNG, JPG etc) from a chart in Excel so that I can post the chart on a web page without linking it to the rest of the page or the calculations. I've gone through all the help files I can think of. Is it possible? Please does anyone have a method of doing this?
To do this at the moment, I'm scanning a printed copy back in, but the final resolution is nowhere near what I would like it to be.
Thanks for any advice?
[dazed]
David

Once you have the chart just click an open area on it so that it puts the 8 little black boxes around the outside. Then right-click the same spot and and choose Copy, then paste it into a picture editing program.

-Volkoff007

One way would be to do a screen capture. I use Ultra Snap, a great screen capture utility that allows you to capture specific regions, windows, etc. from the screen. It is downloadable from and makes this very easy.

You can also just use the Windows Print Screen button to capture the entire screen as a .bmp file on the clipboard and then paste it into an image editing program or whatever, but I like Ultra Snap better.

"It's more like it is now, than it ever has been."

If that doesn't work you can hit the Print Screen key which copies the whole screen and paste it into an image editing program but only keep the chart portion.

-Volkoff007

Thanks a bunch!!!!
The cut and paste thing never ocurred to me and it's so obvious. I do it all the time with text. I tried it with PhotoDraw and bingo. Just what I need.

[2thumbsup]
David

You can also automate this process by using a macro.
the following code will "automatically" create a
.GIF file from the currently selected chart in your
spreadsheet.

ActiveChart.Export Filename:="whatever.gif", filtername:="GIF"

- vbMax

I hate to overstate the obvious, but with the Chart selected (Edit > Select All) go to Word or whatever application and do Edit > Paste Special as a Bitmap

Or open up MS Paint and PASTE, then save it.

Just suggestions....

Ladyck3

I hate to point out the obvious...But why doesn't Excel automatically have a Save Image As option. If there is a macro to do it....then why not just offer it as an option. Arrghhh....I guess I am just restating the well-known highly publicized incompleteness of microsoft.

Sera
I often believe that...
My computer is possessed!

You can also hold down the SHIFT Key and click the EDIT menu, the Copy Picture feature is hidden, using the SHIFT key reveals it.... You will also see the SAVE Picture feature.....

:)

Laurie

LadyCK3

Laurie,
I don't get the save picture option? What version of Office are you using?

Sera
I often believe that...

Highlight the area, then hold down the SHIFT key, then click EDIT....

Is available on both 2000 and 2002, I can check in the morning about '97 but I believe it is an option there as well... it is a "hidden" option, you must hold down the SHIFT KEY -THEN- Click EDIT and COPY PICTURE and PASTE PICTURE are available.

LadyCK3

Well in your previous post ladyck3 you talked about a SAVE Picture feature. I can get the copy picture option, but I don't see the SAVE Picture. I am using 2000. Can you explain what you meant by that. Because although the copy picture feature is nice, it doesn't eliminate the fact that you have to leave excel to save the picture.

Sera
I often believe that...

1. Click on the graph (see the black boxes around the sides and in the corners.
2. Press the SHIFT key.
3. Click Edit > Copy Picture
4. Choose AS SHOWN ON SCREEN
5. Minimize Excel
6. Go to Start > Accessories > Paint
7. Click EDIT and choose PASTE
8. At the prompt about the item being larger, click YES
9. Result is the chart in Paint, you can then..
10. File > Save As make sure to choose the picture format you wish from the options in the drop down menu, most common are BMP, JPG or GIF and give it a name... save it to your desired location.

11. One idependent picture of your chart.

I hope this resolves the issue, if not, please post again.

Laurie

LadyCK3

Well...I guess I am not making myself very clear. I don't really have a question. I thought in the post above that you were saying that the image could be saved FROM EXCEL ONLY. I guess I misinterpreted what you were saying. In the post above you said, "You will also see the SAVE Picture feature..... " so I figured I was missing something.
I really think it is cool that Excel has the copy picture feature hidden...although all you really need to do is select the graph and Cntl+C and then open paint and Cntl+V. So the only thing that is really neat about the copy feature is that you have the option to choose the resolution of the copy. I think it is interesting that they have hidden features (which I was unaware of)....for that I am giving you a star.

Sera
I often believe that...

Thanks Sera...

And re-reading the initial post after your last comments (before my step by step instructions) I forgot that the purpose was to make an independent graphic file.

I have slepted... I mean, blinked since then... I'm an old woman, prone to forget a lot :)

hehehe :)

Its all good... thanks for the star...
Laurie

LadyCK3

haha I spend a lot of time blinking....myself.....

Sera
I often believe that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back