Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make Folder Options global 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PedalSteel

Programmer
May 6, 2007
GB
No matter what I do, I can't seem to make my preferred Folder Options setting apply to all, or even very many, folders, as advertised on the Apply to All Folders button in the Tools/ Folder Options/ View dialogue. The desired setting is Details.

I do have the Remember each folder's view settings box unchecked, by the way.

As with so many aspects of Microsoft products, I can't detect a pattern in the misbehaviour.

Search doesn't find anything relevant here, and there's nothing in the FAQs. Anyone?

In Windows Explorer, select any folder and set it to the view you want.

Now click Tools -> Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Click the 'Apply to All Folders' button.

Should be OK now.

Thanks, pj, but I've done all of that a thousand times. It doesn't work for me. That's why I asked the question, mentioning all the things you mentioned.

A few folders open the way I want them, but most don't. There's no detectable pattern.

It's XP Home, by the way, with all current updates.

That is interesting because the solution is copied from an answer I gave to someone else recently in this forum.
They were extremely grateful for my help.

Perhaps you should try again.

> Perhaps you should try again.

I just did, as soon as I read your original answer.

It still doesn't work, at least not fully. Some folders still open as Tiles, or Icons, or something other than what I set, namely Details. From what you say, it seems that it works for you and others. But not for me.

There must be some other factor at work that I don't know about. I guess I'll just have to live with it. Thanks anyway.

Try the following:
- Be sure to have unchecked "remember each folders view settings".
- Reset all folders to default.
- Make adjustments.
- Choose apply to all folders.

> Try the following: ...

I did, Jordie. Makes no discernible difference. Thanks anyway.

I'm a Geordie. Small world.

Search for all instances of the file desktop.ini and delete them. Then repeat setting one folder and applying to all.

> Search for all instances of the file desktop.ini and delete them. Then repeat setting one folder and applying to all.

I did that, gHz. "Seems to have worked", he whispered.

Whatever, thank you very much indeed.

Hi -

here's a hanger-on issue to the topic above -

The folders toolbar won't go away.
Whenever I open a folder, it opens with the folders toolbar button already clicked, and the folder tree is covering folder tasks pane on the left hand side.

If I close the folders toolbar, and then open a sub folder, that subfolder opens in a new window. my folder options are set for folders to open in the same window.

If I leave the folder toolbar open and open a subfolder, it opens the folder in the same window.

I have used the "apply to all folders" feature in folder options to attempt to copy an idea view w/o the folder toolbar showing. This copied more superficial characteristics to all folders, but I can't kill the folder view.

any suggestions?

Thanks,
ROb

Well, I've read somewhere that this is an issue with XP. XP can only remember the folder options for a set amount of folders. So then you set more, some others will be restored.. XP sucks, but hey, I'm using it anyway :p

- Lowet

[gray]Why can't all browsers parse pages the same way? It should be the Web designer who decides how to display the content, not the browser![/gray]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back