Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make columns on report

Status
Not open for further replies.

papalpha

Programmer
Jul 31, 2002
US
I am obviously a novice at Crystal Reports. I need to create a report with columns where the group object is the column heading and the details are under it. My report has all the data I need on it, but it just list the results in a single column down the left hand side of the report. I tried cross tabs, but I really do not have a row column, just data under the column heading. Also, cross tabs tried to get me to summarize the data and I need to list the individual data elements. If anyone can explain it in simple terms, I would greatly appreciate it.

Right Click to the left side of the detail section then click on "format section". Next click the box "format with multiple columns". A layout tab will appear. Select your layout options and click "ok".
MrBill

That is close but it gives me this:
heading1 data6
data1 heading3
data2 data7
data3 data8
data9
heading 2
data4
data5

What I need is:
heading1 heading2 heading3
data1 data4 data7
data2 data5 data8
data3 data6 data9

Any suggestions?

It looks like your headings are in a group header rather than the page header. They should be in the page header 3 across.
In your multiple column tab, make sure your Detail Size Width + Gap Between Details does not exceed one third the page width in order to get 3 columns.
MrBill

The headings are not text fields, but are data fields that are read in with the data and grouped by the heading data field.

My guess is the best you can do would be to print across then down and have a format like:
Heading 1
data1 data2 data3

Heading 2
data4 data5 data6

Heading 3
data7 data8 data9

When printing down then across, I don't know of any way to skip to the next column until the first column is filled. I use vers. 8.5. Maybe a newer version has such features.
MrBill

hi
how many table you have for this report and how many
columns you must have.

pgtek

There are only 4 different fields being selected from the database. They are result_value, result_number, patient, & cost. What I need to end up with is at least 4 columns like the following:
result_value1 text_field result_value2 text_field
patient1 result_number1 patient1 result_number1
patient2 result_number2 patient3 result_number3
patient5 result_number5 patient4 result_number4
total cost for result_value1 total cost for result_value2

Note each patient may or may not be included in each result_value grouping.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back