Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make an intranet

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel216

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2002
US

I need help.

This is the situation: We are W2k enviroment with Active Directory domain. We created a application that we
want only our internal clients to use. What do I do?

I added the host in the the Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones. When a clients inputs the address in IE it finds the application and at other times it seems that it just doesn't find it. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Angel

We need a little more info. Is this the only one that doesn't work. How's your setup as far as the network? Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"Uniformity is death, diversity is life."
Mikhail A. Bakunin (1814-1876); Russian writer and revolutionary.

Personally I would create a website (hosted somewhere in the network). Force a link to the website to all users, then base the install file from there (the website) with a hyperlink.

Then after the install is accomplished, on the same web site you coudl have a link to automatically run the program from a specified location (somewhere on the network) as well.

I find that the easier it is for the user, life for you becomes much better...

Good Luck!
Chance~

Glen,

We are trying to make this application run in our intranet. Setup, well everyone either runs W2k or Wxp, our servers are all W2k in Active Directory and we have (2) T1 lines for redundancy.

Our LAN clients, for example type in in the browser. At times the application opens up in the browser with no problems, but other times the application does not open up. It seems like it disappears. I haven't change anything. I check the DNS and the host entry is in the Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

-Angel

1)Check for errors in the event logs
2)Make sure browsing is turned off on the clients
3)Do all the pc's get there at one time and not others, or is it certain pc's? If it's certain pc's, do ipconfig /all and compare the good ones to the bad ones. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) Physicist and mathematician.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back