Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to make access open in read-only mode using vb to stop the .laccdb file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triacona

Technical User
Jun 11, 2009
GB
Dear All,

I have an issue where I need to stop the .laccdb file from appearing when opening access.
The reason is that the users open it and leave it open and don't logoff properly leaving that file running.
This is a problem as when I need to update the file with the new version, it will overwrite the old, but that corrupts it, when you try and open it again.

After a lot of googling, I have found that if you open it in read-only mode this stops the .laccdb file generating.
This may be a ham fisted way of approaching this problem, I am open to suggestions.

So I thought of putting VB code on start-up to make the Access reporting system read-only.

The Reporting system is basically a bunch of linked tables, forms with vb code, and non-linked tables and vb functions.
It is meant to run reports off our main db system.
The non-linked tables are for the form info.
The vb code is for forms and some reports.

Thanks for your forthcoming help.

Thank you,

Kind regards

Triacona

Can you limit users to not be able to create files in the folder?

There are a number of solutions for bumping users out of the application either after idle time or at a time you specify.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Thanks Duane for your reply.

Unfortunately the folder permissions are centrally managed, so I can't do anything there.

You mentioned other ways of bumping users, please could you let me know those options.

As previously mentioned, it is a simple reporting program, so no users log in, they just double click on the Access Icon and it opens the main screen form.

Thanks very much for your help [smile]

Thank you,

Kind regards

Triacona

If I needed something like this I would google "Access bump idle inactive users".

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back