Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make a transparent background in CSS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyweb

Programmer
Nov 15, 2007
US
Hi guys:

I have a drop-down menu created in CSS. Right underneath this menu is a flash animated object. Is there a way to make the background of the drop-down menu transparent so that the flash animated object playing down under can be seen through the drop-down menu ? Thanks.

Without seeing any code, the best we can do is guess, and say you could add background:transparent; or background:none; to the CSS class or id selector for the drop down's container.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Yes, using the property

background: transparent;

works but I don't want to make it 100% transparent. My drop-down menu already has an existing color. Is it possible to make the menu partially transparent so that I can keep the existing background color while seeing the flash animated object playing underneath? Thanks.

Its possible, unfortunately its not implement equally across browsers so you'll have to use a different declaration for each browser you wish to support, and even then its not guaranteed to work.

Have a read here:

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Hi vacunita (sorry I don't know your actual name),

Thanks a lot for the CSS help. Your code for transparent background works in Mozilla Firefox, things look much better :). I'll try if I can make it work in IE too. Thanks so much!

Name's Phil, and You are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back