Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to make a redundant connection between a 2611 and two 2950's

Status
Not open for further replies.

eabbink

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
NL
Hi,

I have a solution to the above question but it's not without some problems so I thought to ask here what is considered the best way to do it.

the situation is as follows:

The 2950's are linked by their two gigabit ports and are divided into a few vlans. The 2611 is situated in one of those vlans and should not see or carry traffic from other vlans.

I want to connect the first ethernet port of the 2611 to the first switch and the second port to the second switch. This is only for redundancy, load-balancing is not necessary.
Also, the 2611 should be able to run HSRP.

What would be the best way to go about this?

thanks,

Esger

Ah :)

the other router is in the same vlan attached to the same switches. But it has only one ethernet port and less WAN/ISDN ports. Thats also one of the main reasons I want to keep the 2611 usable/up for as long as possible.

Esger

eabbink,
I think your description may be a little confusing to some of us. HSRP provides redundancy between routers, not switches (VLANs). If you want redundancy between the switches, you can configure another up-link connection between the switches themselves rather than having the router connect to both switches.

Best to draw up a basic diagram before jumping into router configs. From your post, your network would look like this:

ROUTERA<--HSRP--->ROUTERB
| |
| |
SWITCHA<--Pri Link->SWITCHB
<---Bkup Link-->
| |
|_______VLANS______|

Please feel free to correct me if your requirements are different.

JimmyZ

ok, understood. You're diagram is close but my situation is a little different though so here's the complete diagram:

ROUTER_A <------------HSRP-----------> ROUTER_B |\ |
| \ |
| \ |
| \----------------------------\ |
| \ |
| \ |
| \ |
SWITCH_A <--REDUNDANT GIGABIT TRUNK--> SWITCH_B

router A is the 2611 and B is the 1600.

I hope the ascii art survives but the main difference between your diagram and mine is that yours is symmetrical and mine isnt. Router A in my diagram is connected to both switch A and switch B.

The reason I want this configuration is that the 1600 is not a _full_ replacement of the 2611 (which has no empty WIC or NM slots). The 1600 can only support the bare minimum.
(Although you could argue for a second 2600, there is no budget for another filled-up 2611, let alone a few double leased-lines..)

So, in the event of a failure of switch_A I'd still prefer the 2611 to keep handling the traffic instead of the 1600.
The connection with switch_B should make this possible.

I have a solution that works (using a bvi interface) but it has an intermittent problem, so I am curious what is the &quot;best practice&quot; approach to configuring this?

thanks,

Esger

/whine mode on
ah cmon, help a guy out
/whine mode off

but seriously, anyone?

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back