Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to make a drop down selection instead of using formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejanorey

Technical User
Mar 23, 2002
US
Is there any method to do this? I have a standard work spreadsheet that auto-populates data depending on other cells.. example.. if work date range changes then the times shift over with included days off.. now if there is a date that a worker is going home early or the hours for that day is differ than the rest.. he will have to manually input his hours in the proper fields thus ruining the formulas..

Is there a way to have an option to have the user manually put in his hours if on a specific day he is working differ hours other than the standard?

I have posted a copy of the rough spreadsheet I'm working on.

Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

BTW I'm using Excel 2007 on Windows Vista Ultimate.

TR

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

Hi,
...auto-populates data depending on other cells...
Populate implies that data is actually entered when other cells change. It is NOT the result of a formula, which does not populate anything -- rather returns values from formulas and references.

What you need is a cell or range of empty cells in which a user can enter data. THEN your formula can determine what data to put into the cell in question, using an IF statement like...
[tt]
=IF(ISBLANK(TheCellForTheUserToEnterDataIn),TheFormulaYouAlreadyHave,TheCellForTheUserToEnterDataIn
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

SkipVought,

So the cell in question.. lets say for example A1.. A1 has a formula already inside it.. there will some times when I will need the user to manually input data on A1.. which in turn erases the formula and ruins any other cells which formulas are attached to A1.

I wasn't sure if I explained my original question clearly :)

TR

So A1 has your formula. Make SOME_OTHER_CELL the one that the user can enter data in...
[tt]
A1: =IF(ISBLANK(SOME_OTHER_CELL),TheFormulaYouAlreadyHaveInA1,SOME_OTHER_CELL)
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back