Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to make a copy of a progress db

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradamus

Technical User
May 3, 2000
SE
I'm totally new to progress and have never worked with it.
I'm wondering if a consultant of our messed up when he tried to copy one of our 15 db's. We run progress 9.1B20 on AIX.

The consultant copied these files manually.
system.d1, system.db, system.lic, system.st, v5.d1, v5.db, v5.df, v5.lic, v5.st.
He edited the system.db manually to point it to the new db-location. He also edited the .st files to point it to the new (copied as well) image-location.
He also edited our startupscripts to point to the new location.

We start the db using this script.

$DLC/bin/_mprosrv $V5DB/newdb/v5 -S newdbv -L 3000 -n 85 -pf /usr/local/bin/pfil/v5.pf -pf /usr/local/bin
/pfil/swedish.pf
$DLC/bin/_mprosrv $V5DB/newdb/system -S newdbs -n 85 -pf /usr/local/bin/pfil/v5.pf -pf /usr/local/bin/pfi
l/swedish.pf

When we try to start the new db it says the database has wrong version number.

What are the correct commands to setup a new db and use/import the data from an existing db? Links to whitepapers/guides are also welcome.
As well as any input on what the consultant did wrong.

/Sören

If your consultant edited the .db file manually, he/she is playing with fire. The correct method is to edit the .st then do prostrct repair (see the DBA manual)

For a more comprehensive answer than I can give, try the PEG DBA forum - send an email to dba at peg dot com - look at
Cheers, Mike.

I tried running prostrct repair xxx.st
It changed the .db file accordingly, but now I get an errormessage saying I'm trying to start a duplicate of the first/original database. That db isn't even started.

I'm guessing I'll have to take this back to square one. Meaning... lookup up the proper progress copy commands (input is always welcome). I'll consult the admin guide again and search the progress email group. thanks for the url. didn't know of that one!

/Sören

Are you shure the st file is edited correctly?
(you can never check that to many times)

You can:
copy the databases manualy, edit the st file and do the prostrct repair.

do an online backup (probkup -online) and restore the db
(prorest) and use the previous created db to restore is to or create an empty db with "prostrct create" command.
The targed db will be overwritten except the .db with the locations.
(source db does not have to be shut down)

use the procopy command (db has to be down).
It will create a "ready to use" copy.

reagards Gregor

Gregor.Weertman@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back