Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to maintain Table formatting in Indesign/Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TysonWhitney

Technical User
May 27, 2004
US
I have financial statements in an InDesign Chapter linked to various Excel spreadsheets. When I update them, the top and bottom cell insets default to 0.0556 inches (0.4 picas). I would like to maintain a 0 value for these cell insets.

These spreadsheets are linked in as formatted tables, keeping the cell alignment from the spreadsheet.

Ideally, I would like to maintain the format I apply to the tables, but each refresing of the links reverts it back.

I think that I'd read that modifications to the tables are lost after each refresh.

1) Is there a way to keep the changes?
2) Is there a way to adjust the cell insets from Excel?
3) If none of the above, is there a way to create a template for tables with zero values for the top and bottom cell insets?

Excel and ID have different ways of specifying insets, therefore when you import an Excel table ID applies its defaults. These defaults aren't editable. If you re-import the table (update the link), you can select the entire table and spec your 0pt inset for all the cells. If your inset values vary, then you could look at the Smart Styles plug-in from Woodwing.com which effectively gives you table styles.

Thanks for your help on this. I have been eyeing the Woodwing plug-in, and may ask my office to purchase it.

Tyson Whitney

Hello, I just updated (update 08) my market review about Database Publishing for Adobe InDesign 2.x / CS.

Also a add Smart Styles and IQuest.excell. Both Tools have an excellent addition to InDesign, they can updated the designed MS Excel content without destroying your design art work on styled tables.

may be this link will help you...

regards
Joerg

Thank you for your post! I plan to purchase the Woodwing smart styles plug-in and I would like to get more information on the iquest.excell plug-in. Is there a site where I can order this software? Is it available in english or spanish?

Thanks,

Tyson Whitney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back