Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Look for a Range of Last Names in a Recordset 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziriya

Programmer
Nov 6, 2008
US
Hi, I haven't programmed in a LONG time and am having trouble figuring out how to code the comparison criteria for looking for a range of last names in a Recordset. This is what I want to do:

While Not EOF
If Name Field Begins with A thru M Then
Do Action
Move to Next Record
End While

You could look at something like this.

Dim strVal
While Not EOF
strVal = Asc(Left(rst!NameField,1))
If strVal >=65 and strVal<=77 Then '65 = A and 77 = M
Do Action
Move to Next Record
Else
Move to Next Record
End If
End While

Paul

would it be faster if he just did this?
if left(rst!NameField1, 1) >= lcase("A") and
left(rst!NameField1, 1) <= lcase("M") then
found = "yes"
end if

I was able to get Paul's suggestion to work, but had some trouble with WvDba's.

Thanks for your help guys! :)

there's no problem with the code i posted. the two parts of the "and" must be on the same line, or continued on the next line with a "_". the posting box, just didn't allow that, i suppose. could be that i pressed an extra "enter".
cheers.

I did have the if...then statement on one line, but that doesn't mean I didn't do something else dumb. I didn't say your's wouldn't work, just that I wasn't able to get it to before I got the other solution to work. I do appreciate the help from both of you!

Why don't you retrieve the records you want instead of filtering them later? If you are using T-SQL then BETWEEN should work:

Code:
SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE LEFT(fieldname, 1) BETWEEN 'A' AND 'M'

Spork, I had thought of that already, but I was not given any control over the data pulled from the database in the Recordset. That was handled by someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back