Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to logon to root/Python 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrider

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2003
US
First question i have is:
I installed Mandrake 9.1 on Windows XP machine to dual boot. It boots inot KDE; how do i logon as root?

Second question:
Does Python come with Mandrake, if so how do i use it? If not how do i download and install it?

Thank you in advance [sadeyes]

1) enter 'root' for your user name, and whatever password you set for root for the password? Need a little more info here.

2) Try '
Code:
urpmi python-base
' to get the basic stuff installed.

--
JR

I ran the command you suggested and the it said that everthing was already installed. So where do i use it. I'm used to using Python in windows. You'll have to forgive me i am really very new to this.

Also how do i login as root from the GUI login screen. I see when i select the "System" in the "Control Center" it gives me a window where i can choose to unhide the root user. But everthing's greyed out.

Thank you flugh

For python: just copy your python scripts to something linux can read (mount the windows partition, put it on a floppy, email it to yourself, whatever). May need to run a 'dos2unix' tool on it to get the end-of-line characters right (windows does CR+LF, *nix does LF i believe). Then '
Code:
python <your script file>
' should do it.

I'll try quick-n-dirty.

1) hit
Code:
ctrl+alt+1

2) login as root on the console there

3) as root, issue the command:
Code:
telinit 3
this will take you to runlevel 3. redhat/mandrake/etc
this means network is up, but GUI/X display manager
isn't running.

4) now, as root, issue the command:
Code:
startx

'startx' will usually 'Start X' ;-) there's probably some config option in kdm (KDE's display manager) preventing root from being a displayed, available user to login. Not sure how to fix that right now, as my Mandrake box hasn't had a monitor for so long, I forget how to use (x,k,g)dm.

X as root is frowned on by the &quot;gurus&quot; and such. Probably a bad idea until you are comfy with Linux. However, busting your box by a badly formed command as root, then reinstalling the OS, can really help you get more aquainted with Linux (albeit the hard way ;-) ).

--
JR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back