Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to logoff users when their session time expires.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ephran

Technical User
Feb 3, 2002
CA
Hi, I have almost gone blind reading through all the policy options in the default domain policy, and it seems like this SHOULD be very easy. However, I have tried experimenting with a test user, whose active session limit, idle session limit etc...are all set to 5 minutes. I have the policy set to forcibly log off users whose logon times have expired, yet the user is still logged on after 15 minutes. I have tried the user on a workstation as well as the server box.
About my setup, I am running W2K server sp2 with active dir, DNS, DHCP etc etc....my clients are W2K pro. There are no local users except on the server box (admin and backup admin acounts) I have the test user in a seperate OU with the policy in question attached to that OU.
From what I have read, it sounds like the policy entry "Log off users when logon time expires" really only pertains to their logon hours that are set in the user/properties/account/logon hours tab. Is there somewhere else I need to look at to enable the session limits?
TIA,

James

You're right, "Log off users when logon time expires" only applies to their specified logon hours.

There doesn't seem to be a way to achieve this with GPs. What you could try doing is:

Step one - Download the console from here:
One of the files included is called "shutdown.exe"

Step Two - Go to your workstations and schedule this program to run every x minutes and only if the computer has been idle for x amount of time. Schedule it to run as follows: "shutdown.exe /l /f /q"
This will force a logoff without prompting after x amount of idle time.

Your other option is to use rundll32.exe with user32.dll, but I've had problems with that route. Amazing that M$ haven't included an option which should be so basic.

Hope this helps!

Thanks SoulSe,

I'll play around with the shutdown option a bit. Someone out there may have written a 3rd party solution to this as well, so going to do some searching. Thanks for your assitance.

Cool, I've used this option on all my stations, works like a bomb!

It can be a problem for big networks with many client machines though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back