Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to log the tape drive messages to a different log file

Status
Not open for further replies.

joephilip

MIS
Apr 29, 2002
US
Is there a way I can set the /etc/syslog.conf so that the error messages from the tape drives do not get logged to the /var/adm/messages?

first find out which facility and which level generates the logentry -> stop syslogd and start it in debugmode "syslogd -d" -> try to start tape activity and hope to get some errors or whatever

next: create a new entry to syslog.conf
-> man syslog.conf
eg.
kern.warning TABULATOR not BLANK! /my/logfile

touch /my/logfile

restart syslogd (/etc/init.d/syslog stop; (/etc/init.d/syslog start)

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

>first find out which facility and which level generates >the logentry -> stop syslogd and start it in > debugmode "syslogd -d"

How do I start the syslogd in debug mode? I stop and start the syslog by /etc/init.d/syslg stop and /etc/init.d/syslog stop. However, this option does not allow me to start it with the -d like /etc/init.d/syslog -d start?

run these 2 commands:
/etc/init.d/syslog stop
/usr/sbin/syslogd -d

-> debuginfo is written on this shell/terminal

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Thanks for the help.
Following is the part of my debug messages written on the terminal. How do I find out what the type of message it is ie, what should I add to the syslog.conf file?

writemsg(5): Logging msg 'Feb 18 09:44:16 root: NetWorker Savegroup: (alert) unix_full aborted, 6 client(s) (psprod, psdevelop Failed)' to FILE /var/adm/messages

-------------------------------
logmsg(9): msg dispatcher started
init(1): syslogd: started
main(1): off & running....
writemsg(5): Logging msg 'Feb 18 09:35:10 bootpd[9808]: IP address not found: 189.1.13.11' to FILE /var/adm/messages
main(1): Got SIGALRM
writemsg(5): Logging msg 'Feb 18 09:35:14 last message repeated 1 time' to FILE /var/adm/messages
writemsg(5): Logging msg 'Feb 18 09:44:16 root: NetWorker Savegroup: (alert) unix_full aborted, 6 client(s) (psprod, psdevelop Failed)' to FILE /var/adm/messages
writemsg(5): Logging msg 'Feb 18 09:44:16 root: Start time: Wed Feb 18 03:45:01 2004' to FILE /var/adm/messages
writemsg(5): Logging msg 'Feb 18 09:44:16 root: End time: Wed Feb 18 09:44:15 2004' to FILE /var/adm/messages

now you have to wait for tape errors (can you do some tape activity?) and syslogd will tell you what it receives...

Regards
-- Franz

I am running the tape backup and the previous errors are produced by the tape drives. But I do not know what to make from it?

if you use shell commands to backup to tape then capture the errors to a file -
tar -cvf etc etc 2>>errors.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back