Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to linking datafiles with a calculated field

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFD

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2001
US
I am trying to create a report with two tables with dissimiliar keys. I have read that the resolution to this is to create a sub-report and link on the calculated field. However, I do not know what to do next. I have done the following:

1) Created a report_1 with table_1 and a calculated field_1
2) Created a report_2 with table_2
3) Inserted report_1 into report_2 and linked on a field in table 2

4) Now what??? I guess I expected to see report fields from the sub-report in my field list for inclusion into the main report, but I do not.

Sorry for the simple-mindedness, but I am just getting started with Crystal (ver 9).

I'll assume that:

3) Inserted report_1 into report_2 and linked on a field in table 2

means that you linked the calculated field to the disimilar key.

No, you won't see them for inclusion in the main report, the solution offered was to allow you to show the data within the subreport. You might consider using shared variables to move data between reports.

A better solution is to create a View (or SP) within the database that has the proper join.

Dissimiliar keys are silly, push it back on the database people to fix it, Crystal doesn't handle it well, but the solution you've tried can get you the data, you jsut display it in the subreport.

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Grunt...

I seem to recall that R&R Report Writer had the ability to link on calculated fields way back in the Dbase III days...

Oh well. As for recoding, I am trying to link Peachtree with a custom project management package. I am not sure I can coax the developer into changing his field structure.

Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back