Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to link two MICS together using analog lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxtek

Technical User
Oct 6, 2005
BB
Hey guys. I have a customer who has two buildings on one property, one building currently has a MICS with only 40 phones on it, the other building has nothing and is 200 meters away. I was thinking they can just expand the current MICS but the customer wants to know if they can just buy another MICS for the second building and link the two together. I do not recall seeing much documentation on linking systems together, can someone point me in the right direction here? Thanks

point to point pri with mcdn keycode and link via pri t1..or a 2 pr fiber with 2 mck extenders to a 16 port station module at far end...need software rel 4.1 or better for pri...better to have 6.1mr.Can do without pri and mcdn"plain t1" if you decide to have 2 seperate vm and dont want displayed info from each site to show an displays

Is he just trying to avoid running cable between the two buildings? If they're only 200m apart, I'd run a 100pr. IDF to the new bldg, and cross connect.

Any option you use involving POTS lines is bound to frustrate the customer in the long run. MCDN is an alternative, but the point to point T1 gets expensive.

Either that or run fiber and add a station module in the far building with fiber module extenders at each end. It won't be cheap but the signalling will be lightning fast.

Phonehed in Dallas

Another benefit to Phonehed's suggestion is less chance of the cable being hit or affected by lightning/electrical storms.

As was previously posted, getting a second MICS will cause frustration with POTS calls, as lack to caller-ID between the sites.

Hey, Rikrodgers, you hit the nail on the head. He is just trying to avoid running cable between the two buildings. So far my best idea seems to be to have a 110 frame in the new bulding or bix frame and send either one or two 50 pair cables to the original building where the mics is setup so all he would need is a station module. To the person who recommended runing fiber optic cable, i have never used that before, but it sounds like a good option, what would the cost look like for that option and what would be needed?

about 450 per for extenders plus station module and fiber ran and terminated

There is another option as well....MCK exteders. The issue with all these ideas, is cost. Wheter the guy buys a 2nd Norstar and ties them via DS1 or E&M, uses fiber extenders and runs fiber between buildings, gets MCK units and ties them via DS1, or runs cable, he has to spend money. There is no way around it. It sounds like the guy wants a Lexus for the price of an old VW bus.....sounds like my boss..........

Actually guys, the customer is not running from cost at all. I was just asking what you guys would recommend. The MICS only has 40 extensions on it currently so my inclination so far and is also what some of you have said, is to add a station module in the new building and connect it via fiber cable to the mics in the first building.

I see that CITEL has a product for Norstar systems called a MOdule Extender. Do you guys think that those will be necessary? They look like they are made for this type of application. Here is the link below:

I would try to upgrade them to BCM 400 or a 50 depending on the number of sets needed and use I.P sets over a wireless link to the main site. And since they don't want to run a cable between the 2 buildings, they are likely going to be using a wireless solution for their data network. 200 meters away, should not be a problem and they get new technology using the same digital sets.

On the fiber extenders- I've got several customers using them, and they work great...but...

When there is a power outage, sometimes the remote fiber station mod won't sync up properly. It's easy enough to fix; power cycle one or both of the fiber extenders, and they come right back up. Most of my customers are really skittish about touching anything electronic they don't completely understand, though, so it usually results in a service call.

One other drawback/ thing to consider: each of the remote StaMods require a separate set of extenders, and 2 multimode fiber strands. Unless you really push them to "over-cable", they'll probably run a 6 strand, use 4 for data, leaving you 2 strands, and then find out they need 17 sets...

And then, with fiber- who's running and terminating it? Electricians will often underbid us techs, but have no real idea that fiber is GLASS. It's fragile, and requires training and experience to properly install.

Make sure you at least get dB loss test results.

I usually only reccommend fiber extenders when the distance prohibits copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back