Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to link to a database

Status
Not open for further replies.

at51178

Technical User
Mar 25, 2002
US
HI guys

I have a website that I am creating for myself and I would like to create a search field on my site that would link to a database most likely Microsoft Access I have access to Dreamweaver and Frontpage I know that you can create this using Internet Services II but I don't know much about ASP is there any way to do this.

Thanks

Hi

First find out what database and scripts your web server supports. You can use client pc scripts (VBscript or Javascript) but best to use serverside script which are more secure and less dependent on Client PC browsers).
Generally the script language accepts inputs from HTML pages, communicates using SQL to a database, and outputs HTML back to the user's PC

I use PHP to talk to Mysql (both open source), but have also used Cold fusion (middling cost, now part of dreamweaver), ASP+ Access (clientside), and Oracle (very expensive, big scale only). Java is and .NET are other popular options.

HTH

Guy Lancaster

To clarify what has been posted, if you want to present internet web content from an online database then you must user a server side script or application. You cannot use javascript or vbscript because these reside on the clients computer and not the server. PHP and PERL are probably the 2 most popular methods and are easy to learn. Of course, it all depends on what your hosting company will support.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Whats a good hosting site that will give me the tools to create a ecommerce site that will give me the flexibility to grow and not charge me an arm and a leg.

at51178,

Windows 2000/XP Pro comes with IIS which readily supports ASP. It would be easier and cheaper if you use ASP, because you won't need to learn a new programming language. It supports both VBScript and JavaScript.

Whats a good hosting site that will give me the tools to create a ecommerce site that will give me the flexibility to grow and not charge me an arm and a leg. - You would probably be better off finding an ecommerce package that has the features you want, see what it takes to run it, and then find a host that will support it. Most of the (good) ecommerce packages out there have already been researched, re-developed, and debugged for you, and probably have features and programming built in to handle situations that you haven't even thought of yet. There's no sense in re-inveting the wheel. You just have to decide if it's worth spending a little money now, or spend months doing what someone else has already done. There are several free shopping cart (not full fledged credit card processing/ecommerce programs, mind you) programs available if you're interested in something you can build on. Again, it all depends on what you're looking for.

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb
- I hate computers!

To underline what was said in the previous post.

There is a world of difference between building a page to retrieve data from a database and building an ecommerce system.
When you are dealing with people's money you had better be 100% sure you are doing it right or you will be in for a whole world of pain!

While you are on database topic: Is database server same as SQL server?
Thank you for all those info-posts, you all are helping me.

An easy to use, inexpensive ecommerce application is at It is not mine but have used it with great success with a number of clients.

Chris Scott
The Whole Computer Medical Systems

While you are on database topic: Is database server same as SQL server?
Thank you for all those info-posts, you all are helping me.

SQL = Structured Query Language. It allows you to interrogate a data store. Common database servers include MySQL.
Applications like Access can also be interrogated with a form of SQL.

Hi! All,
I want Trying to configure MySql Client (4.0.13) on Windows 95 with the MySql Server (3.23.54) on Linux RedHat 9.

Is it possible my my.ini and my.cnf files for both server and client is given below.

Please help me. It is urgent...

MySql Server(3.23.54) on Linux 9 (Want to use as Server)
--------------------------------
my.cnf file is like below

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib
baseaddress=132.132.1.45

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

MySql Server (4.0.13) on Windows 95 (Want to use as Client)
-----------------------------------
my.ini file is like below

[WinMySQLAdmin]
#Server=C:/MYSQL/bin/mysqld-opt.exe
#user=root
#password=admin
#QueryInterval=10

#[mysqld]
#Server=C:/MYSQL/bin/mysqld-opt.exe
Server=C:/MYSQL/bin/mysqld-opt.exe
[client]
host=backup.web3m.net
user=root
password=admin
#basedir=C:/MYSQL
#bind-address=132.132.1.45
#datadir=C:/MYSQL/data
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
#language=C:/MYSQL/share/your language directory
#slow query log#=
#tmpdir#=
port=3306
set-variable=key_buffer=16M

Regarding SQL Server / Database server: "SQL Server" is the name of Micrsoft's database server, as opposed to Oracle's or MySQL. Not very original of them, I know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back