Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to limit this insert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recordsetclown

Technical User
Jul 12, 2002
US
Hi,

I want to insert one row per each value of listingsdb_id into a table with the following fields:

field_name, field_value, listingsdbelements_id, listingsdb_id, user_id

There are an unknown and variable number of rows already in this table for each unique listingsdb_id. I've tried the following, but am at a loss as to how to limit the number of inserted rows to one per unique listingsdb_id.

INSERT
INTO default_en_listingsdbelements
(listingsdbelements_field_name,listingsdbelements_field_value,listingsdb_id,userdb_id)
SELECT 'listingagentofficephone','123-456-7890',r2.listingsdb_id,1
FROM default_en_listingsdbelements AS r1
INNER
JOIN default_en_listingsdb AS r2
ON r2.listingsdb_id = r1.listingsdb_id

r2 has one listingsdb_id per row, but this seems to insert a row into r1 for each row already in r1. Thanks for any help.

Thanks for your reply. I may have misunderstood though, as the target table might already have 30 rows with the same listingsdb_id. I'm not understanding the unique constraint.

Actually, no. I found lots of references to unique constraint, but none that looked like they explain your suggestion. At any rate, thanks for your reply.

okay, i've had another look at your requirement...
There are an unknown and variable number of rows already in this table for each unique listingsdb_id. I've tried the following, but am at a loss as to how to limit the number of inserted rows to one per unique listingsdb_id.
if you only want one row per unique listingsdb_id, and the table already has multiple rows per unique listingsdb_id...

...then i'm not sure i understand what you're asking

do you want to remove the duplicates?

r937.com | rudy.ca
Buy my new book Simply SQL from Amazon

This table is where fields defined by the user are stored. Every field is a row within the table, with column headings of field_name, field_value, listingsdbelements_id (auto-incremented), listingsdb_id, and user_id.

The application deals with real estate listings, so fields might be number of bedrooms, bathrooms, etc., all related to their respective properties by the number contained in listingsdb_id. The number of rows per listingsdb_id is variable because some listings have features that others do not. On average there are probably twenty-five rows per listing.

I mistakenly deleted the listing agent phone number field from this table, and I was looking for a way to insert a single row per unique listingsdb_id into the table. Once the row was back in place, I planned to update the phone numbers from another table.

My initial attempt appeared to insert at least one phone number row for every row already in the table, and I was looking for a way to limit that to one row per listing.

I can reload all the listings without too much trouble, so don't be concerned if this is more trouble than I anticipated. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back