Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Know the Hotfile location used in an Impromptu Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

sri9

MIS
Jun 3, 2004
IN
Hi,

I have a scenario like this. We have used hotfiles in Impromptu reports. I would like to know if there is any way we can locate the path of the Hotfile used in an existing Report. If these are placed on network then how can we find out the same (Can I place the hotfile on one server and the Impromptu Report on another).

Will this work???? or Do I need to have the hotfile as the same where the Impromptu Report is located. Pls clarify

Any suggestions...!

Thanks in Advance
Sri

Howdy Sri,
It's been a while since I used hotfiles and then it was on Impromptu V6. As I recall you create an impromptu report and save as, and in the drop down list you select hotfile ( I forget the file extension but I think it is .ims) to any directory - I personally would prefer it to be on the same server as the imp reports but don't know of any technical reason for this. Ideally you would have a directory on your server for Impromptu reports and a sub directory under this for hotfiles - that way you will find it easier not to lose them.
If you have administrator imp then you can connect the hotfile to a database table defined in the catalog the same way you would a database table - assuming you have created the hotfile with a key field. The database connection process is also the spot where you will see the file path that shows the location of an existing hotfile that has already been connected - it should show you the database and then under that the hotfile location. If the hotfile has not been connected in the catalog so there is no visible path then I would be inclined to do a search of file types in explorer with an extension of .ims. Hope this helps.

Regards

binway

The path of the hotfile is displayed when you open up the impromptu report and click on the Profile tab to view the sql. It will show in the sql.

CP [cook]

From my understanding of the product, you can either reference the hotfile with a static drive mapping or a UNC convention, place it in the default report directory, or place it in the same folder as the report. Any one of these should allow Impromptu to properly find the hotfile. By default it will be via a drive mapping.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
Magic with Data [pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back