Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to know computer specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

eXtremX

Technical User
Mar 10, 2003
PT
I am thinking of updating my PC, but I don't know what can I install!

How can I know what kind of memory can I use or kind of hard disc, for example?

a good place to start is from the MoBo's Manufacturers Website, as they have compatibility charts and usually recommendations as to what you can install...

second place: Magazines and a local PC store can also supply you with valuable info to what you can do and what not...

Ben

PS - obviously one of the best places you have found is here, but to further analyse your predicament is for you to post your system specs... so that we can point you in the right direction...

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

One thing... I have SiSoft Sandra 2004 Professional and I tried to see what my motherboard could support.

I did a "Mainboard Information" to check out my motherboard "name" but I found myself with two things: Mainboard Model, P4VXASD, and a Chipset Model,VIA Technologies Inc VT8753 Apollo P4X266 System Controller.

Whats the difference between those and how do I get specific info about them?
Is the information on Sandra reliable?

The specs are accurate. The motherboard and chipset are two separate items in the specs you found, which explains why you have two separate model numbers.

Have you ever been to or to do a search? That's all you need to do 90% of the time to find your answer.

This site was the first hit I found after searching for "P4VXASD":

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

But... Whats the difference between chipset and motherboard?

Another thing Sandra says that my motherboard supports up the 4gb of RAM but the site you mencioned says it only supports 2gb of "main memory".

eXtremX
These bits of software are fine for general hardware information but I wouldn't buy parts just on the strength of this info alone.
Personally I would carry out a visual analysis as well, jot down motherboard product and version numbers, CPU type and speed, HDD size, memory type etc etc then post them here.
With this information you should be able to download the motherboards manual which will help you alot.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

As paparazi said, don't rely on a piece of software to give you everything. Do a visual check and make a note of any product numbers that you spot on the board itself.

If in fact you do have the motherboard model right, then this site is the official site for the P4VXASD ECS motherboard (note that it too also states that your system supports a max of 2GB):

In response to your question about "[blue]Whats the difference between chipset and motherboard[/blue]", you might want to take a look here:

Basically, the chipset is the main part of the motherboard. Although a crucial component, it is not as important as knowing the make/model of your motherboard. One chipset such as the Via VT8753 may have been used in dozens of different motherboards, each motherboard manufactured with different specs. So you get the idea. Don't base any upgrade decisions based on just the chipset. The motherboard as a whole is more important to the overall decision(s).

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back