Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to kill sessions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo6

Technical User
Jan 27, 2000
US
I thought I had a good grasp of sessions until...

I have several scripts where I initialize a session and pass user_id, password along to different pages. My problem is that if the user never closes out the browser and a different user logs into the site, it pulls up the previous user's information.

I've looked at session_destroy(), session_unset(), and $_session = array(); but no luck.

Is this something in the php.ini file or apache.conf file?

I am using PHP4.3.1 and Apache 1.3.27.

Any suggestions would be great.

You should use: session_start();
just before you use
session_destroy();

Although the name of the function may not sound like it, it is PHP's way of first refering to and reconizing the session you are talking about - then it can be destroyed.

it depends on you call your code.

You can post your code here, so we can help to see.

You may want to delete the cookie on the user's machine also. I use this function whenever I destroy a session, without any problems.
Code:
<?php
function logout() 
{
    // Unset all of the session variables.
    $_SESSION = array();

//Delete session cookie
    if (isset($_COOKIE[session_name()])) {
        setcookie(session_name(), '', time()-42000, '/');
    }

//Destroy the session.
    session_destroy();
}
?>
HTH,
Itshim

Thanks to all for the input. Actually what I ended up needing to do was to change the PHP.ini file to 'nocache'.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back