Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to keep track of remote Cameras IPs from my site? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DellyAuto

Programmer
Feb 3, 2007
CA
I have set up some cameras at my Aunt's and Uncle's cottages. Is there any way that they can log onto my webpage and enter a userid so I can determine who they are and connect them to the correct camera at their cottage? I'd like them to come to my site first. How do I keep track of the IP addresses of their cameras??

One more thing to add... when my family logs onto my site they will enter a userid that I hope I can use (via a table/database or something) to map to their camera. How to a keep track of the dynamic IP addresses of these cameras??
Thanks

The answer is and emphatic yes you can. The only thing that you will need to know is the public network address of the computer that provides the public network connection (the internet) for the camera. The simplest (and conventional) way to do this is to have your connection provider outfit you with a static IP address.

You would use this address on your website along with some sort of authentication mechanism to provide access for Auntie and Uncle.

Other means of utilizing dynamically assigned addresses are easily arranged via HTTP request header information, or other various hacks.

Yes you can do it and this is an example of the reasons why service providers do market the means of having a 'static' known ip address to consumers. [thumbsup2]

Amiel Summers

Visit This is one of many sites that handles dynamic IP's. You set your router (or device such as "slingBox") to contact that site if the IP is changed (this is a built in function of routers an/or some devices).

When a device behind a firewall sends out a new request to dynsdns, they will see the request coming from the router, and will thus store the router's new IP. Port forwarding on the router will let you access the device.

To call the PC or device, you would call the name that you registered with dynsdns (example ... This site would give you the present IP address and direct you to the site.
Hope this helps.

Do the cameras have their own IP addresses or are they configured to use a computer's IP address (IP camera vs web cam)? Disable DHCP and configure a static IP address for the cameras or computers. Did the cameras come with software? Most cameras come with software that logs data like user, time and date when users view the cameras remotely. You can force them to come to your page first if you put the link to the their camera pages in your website. This does not disable them from making a bookmark that will take them directly to the cameras page for later use. Another idea is to embed the camera pages within your website. You can use iframes to do it. This would kind of force them to come to your site.

Maria Santella
Technical Sales Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back