Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to keep one user from dominating the connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmessick

Programmer
Dec 19, 2002
US
Is there a way to setup some level of QOS to keep one user (or machine) from sucking down the entire internet connection. We have a 3.0/3.0 and when one person is downloading a large file its nearly impossible for anyone else to load webpages without refreshing multiple times.

I don't know if I can point the finger at one user. Anyway to do it network wide? Say two people go at the connection... anyway to make sure they both get half?

sure, create two access-lists. you can find out who it is, turn on IP accounting, see what IP is hogging.

If I do a CAR.. I end up with a hard limit on that entire ACL. Don't I still have the same problem of one user squashing out the others?

I'd look more at CBWFQ if possible. Set it so that your trouble users are in one queue, specify only a fraction of the bandwidth, then give everyone else into another queue and allow more bandwidth to it.

I tried putting together an example, but some reason it wasn't working right in my head. I'll see what damage I can cause later.

Hello
I would first turn on NBAR to see if it's P2P traffic (Emule,Kazaa,etc.)If your users are using these programs,you can drop this dangerous traffic from coming into your network.This would solve the problem without any other form of QOS.
Below are the configuration and show commands.
Note:To best catch the traffic apply the command to the WAN and LAN interface.

Router(config-if)#ip nbar protocol-discovery
Router# show ip nbar protocol-discovery top-n <1-50>

Regards

I could make a go at that, there is still one stumbling block here for me. I've got 3mbit available, and two users going at it. To ensure that each user gets 1/2 the pipe I have to setup a seperate class for each user. Thats insane! There has to be an easier way. I can't imagine this is that uncommon of a request.

The tough part is that the OP has to police bandwidth for just one or two people and leave the rest as is (at least that is my understanding of the problem). Lerdalt posted the best solution, IMHO, but what you'll need to do there is either assign the dominating users static IP's so that you can create your ACL to target only those IP's or move them to their own VLAN and create your ACL to target that whole VLAN. Oh and BTW, long live NBAR!!!!

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

The easiest way to go about this is to use a flow based queueing mechanism. It can be as simple as enabling WRED, and can be done easily by going into the interface command level and issue the following command:

random-detect.

What this will ensure is that all flows in a common traffic class will be given equal time on the wire.

So in your example, say that one of your users intiate a download. Then the other user comes along and he too intiates a download, or simply starts to browse the internet, both flows will be given equal access. What ends up happening is that the intial flow from the first user, is throttled back by the router by dropping packets. Obvisouly for TCP this is effective. This also works for UDP just in a slightly different manner.

Does this make sense?

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back