Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to keep case cool? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlasII

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
US
Hi,

I built a custom computer with asus A7V266-E, Athlon XP 1800, 512 MB RAM PC2100, and Viper 770 Ultra TNT2 32 MB. I run Redhat 7.3 linux on it.

While I was working on something on linux, my computer froze up for no reason. I reboot and check BIOS to see the temperature. It was at 178 F (81 C). I shuted it down to stay cool.

Later, I opened the case, and turned power on. I checked the current air which fans created. I discovered that the fan on the back of case created more air inside rather than take it out. I thought it was supposed to exhaust vent? I think that's why it can't keep the case cool.

I noticed that the case has front vent (no fan yet) but the front case protector doesn't have vent.

I need to keep cpu/case to stay cool. I'm thinking about buy a fan that fits in case cd bay. Will that help? Or do you have suggestions?

Thanks

I would say that adding another 60mm would be sufficient in addition to the fan you already have. Or replace the existing fan with an 80mm. Make sure the air is being blown out the back and not sucked in though! If the fan is sucking air, just turn it around and you should be in good shape. Jay [atom]

"Jeezus-sqeezits Bob!"

Sorry AtlasII, I didn't see anywhere that you already had a top rear fan fitted so I was just recommending you fit one.
No, there should be no need to put fans back to back.
Yes make sure it is blowing out (exhausting)
So as not to confuse I am not talking about the power supply fan but a mounting point usually just below the power supply in a conventional case that usually takes an additional 80mm case fan (exhausting) Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

paparazi,

The heat continues to rise but slowly. It passed 60 C yesterday. I think my cpu fan may not be good. Think I should get better fan? If so, what's good model to buy?

You mentioned Volcano 7 (cpu fan) is good. Mine's Volcano 6. Is there any difference between them?

Currently for my XP-2100+ I use A CoolerMaster HCC-001 Copper Heat Pipe (long name but very powerful). Its only drawback is the amount of noise generated by the 60mm delta fan. This can be fixed however by screwing an 80mm adapter to the heatsink and using a larger fan (less noisy).

That would be my recommendation anyway.. take a look a review here. _______________
Stretchy [Pipe]

fans fans and more fans.
get rounded ide cables to increase air flow. get tie-downs to tie the power cords together to increase air flow. if your really serious about this, bring out the metal cutter and install 2 80mm fans on the side of the case to vent air in on the bottom and out on the top one! cd drive fans are ugly and they really dont work too well. if you really dont care about the looks of your case, get some electrical tape and cover every hole that isnt covered by a fan. then you will get a great air flow and good ventage!

hope that helps,
j-rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back