Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to keep all vlans up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfpk

Programmer
Aug 15, 2002
SE
Hi!
I have configured my switch with one vlan.
But as fast i configure a second vlan the status of vlan1 changes to down. Why?
nfpk

A layer 2 switch can only have one vlan up at any time. You can create multiple VLANs and have them function, but only on of the vlan interfaces will be up.

A layer 3 switch on the other hand, will have all the configured interfaces up so it can route between them.

sounds like maybe you're configuring the management VLAN. The management VLAN can only be one specific VLAN. You can change it from the default of VLAN 1, but as soon as you do this, it will state that VLAN 1 is now shutdown.

To create user VLANs, you do it in a different way. If the switch you've got is a 2900/3500 or similar. You're probably best advised to go into the VLAN database. If from enable mode you can type "vlan database", you will need to add the VLANs from there.

Search on Cisco.com for how to configure the switch that you have. The online documentation is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back