Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to join Windowx XP to a domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

correro

Programmer
Nov 20, 2003
CN
Hi I want to join a Windows XP machine into a Windows 2000 domain. But I didn't find out where to do this.

I'm familiar with Windows 2000, in which you can add to domain in Computer properties -> Network Identification. But this is not the case for Windows XP.

Please tell me where in Windows XP that I can configure it to join a domain. Thanks

Try typing "howto join a domain" in the Help and Support" program, you may find what you are looking for. Make sure you have the Options tab set for searching XP in Help and Support.

My research seems to show that joining a domain is an option for Windows XP Professional, not for Home.

Can someone please confirm that is is correct? Thanks!

Yes, that is correct :(

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCP

Technically Home may not be able to join a Domain, but read on.

From Lockergnome......

"XP Home Edition cannot join network domains, simply peer-to-peer workgroups. However, there is a fix which can solve the problem and allow WinXP Home Edition to join a domain. Microsoft wanted to cripple 'Home' so that it could not be used on domains, which would force many to upgrade to the more expensive Windows XP Professional simply to join a network domain. However, it is possible to get on a domain using the Home Edition. This can be accomplished with the free and widely-available X-Setup Pro 6.5 Final by navigating to the 'Network \ Auto Login \ Windows NT/2K/XP \ Settings' option. Simply enter the appropriate information and click the 'Apply Changes' button. On next reboot, you can then join domains with Windows XP Home Edition. Problem solved."

XP Home and Domains
thread779-274187

Some people have had success, some have not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back