Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to interperet motherboard manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eelad

Technical User
Sep 10, 2000
CA
Hi, I'm looking at a motherboard manual and trying to determine just how expandable the memory is and which type. It says,"
DRAM MEMORY - 4 banks 168 pins DIMM module socket on board.
- Use 8/16/32/64 MB 60~ 70 ns SIMM module DRAM
- 8 ~ 256 MB DRAM size"
I not sure if the board uses both DIMM's and SIMM's because I can only see four DIMM sockets on the board's diagram. I'm not sure just how much memory the board will take. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Eelad

Hi
1. Never mixup DIMMs and SIMMS.
2. It appears, you can have a maximum of 256MB RAM,
i.e. 4 numbers of 64MB RAM DIMM.
3. If you use SIMMS, make sure that any jumpers required to set the voltage of RAM. Old motherboards used to hav this, and in all probability you are taking about an OLD Pentium One series motherboard with Intel or AMD socket.

Instead of spending on the OLD RAMS (Unless some one elses available for FREE these days), you can think of buying a built in motherboard of todays nature and go for Celeron 1Ghz or AMD Duron 800/900 CPS + 128 MB SDRAMS (Just to compare costs.. I am specifying this)

Hope this helps you :) ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

It should state just how much memory is supported by the MB. SIMMs sockets are much smaler than the DRAM slots....but a MB that has both will have both types of them in the same general area. Definately an older board, maybe 3+ years old. Of the two, DRAM is much more efficient and much faster than the old SIMMs. If you have 4 DRAM slots, you can safely put 4 - 128 MB sticks in for a total of 512 MB.

The 'SIMMS' bit must be printing error - you have 4 DIMM sockets (you can see them), and the manual is stating that you can use 8/16/32/64 mb DIMMS in each of the slots, with the total memory being 8 ~ 256 MB.

Hi, It says, "8/16/32/64 MB 60~70 ns SIMM module DRAM." As well as the four dimms. I'm wondering, do they ever make the interface so that the same slot can take eather SIMMs or DIMMs. The diagram in the manual makes it look that way.
Thanks,
Eelad

> Can you post the MAINBOARD info ?
I would then just go to their website and look for myself
at this board. I might be able to contribute something after seeing this.

MANUFACTURE ?
MODEL ?

> Also: You can go to and look at the pictures of RAM slots, and see for yourself what the RAM slots, both SIMM & SDRAM look like, compared to the slots on your board.

This board is probably 4 years old, or the manual is just a "generic" manual that came out with several similar models.
It can be confusing.

Hi Eelad,
I found the manual, and looked at it.

It seems,from the pictures, you can only install DIMMS.
That is the old-style RAM, the EDO RAM. You have to install
in Pairs; matched pairs.

The picture I see shows 4-DIMM slots. You can fill those
and install whatever you can afford, or what you have on hand. That is, you have to match what you have, or order, with what the manual says:

Sometimes manuals don't always match the Mainboard, and if
you have more questions, check out that

You may have some SDRAM or 168-PIN RAM slots. If you do,
definetely use the newer SDRAM / 168-PIN RAM. It is cheaper and performs better.

Thanks for all the info. It's been a great help. I'll have a chance to look at the board tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back