Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to integrate RMAN script

Status
Not open for further replies.

lor

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
CA
On unix server, my OS related backups and Oracle RMAN backups are triggered with the help of unix crontab.
Works fine.
OS backups are triggered by a "savegrp" command but not RMAN backups.

What I would like to do now is to be able to trigger RMAN backups as a dedicated group.
This way standard group notification will be used, /nsr/logs/daemon.log file will generate a specific group completed message for RMAN backups....

Any idea how to achieve this ?

Hi lor,

What you should do is create a group and client for your RMAN backup. Then you should use your RMAN start script as your backup command for that client, remember the name has to start with nsr, and copy that script into Networker's bin directory.
You can then start the RMAN backup by starting your RMAN group.

Willem

Thank you Willem,

Your suggestion is exactly what I have tested so far.
But I am using a savepnpc backup command instead and had to put RMAN script as a pre-command.
This way remote SAN client RMAN backups can be triggered.

Still one question : It seems that client definitions can only be applied if saveset list is not empty i.e I have to backup at least one filesystem ("/" for instance).
Is there a way to get rid off this issue ?

Thank you for your input and advise.

Hi lor,

I don't know if and how you can get rid of this. But I wouldn't think this should be a problem. We have several clients fot the same node, each backing up different files. One does the system backup and the others do RMAN backups.
You could also use directives to keep Networker from backing up the files in the saveset list.

Is there a special reason you want to have a client with an empty saveset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back