Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to install xp on new SATA drive....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunny3

Technical User
May 4, 2004
GB
Hi...have installed on ide ata many times but have just ordered my first sata...how is xp installed on these...?

I have heard when it asks for sata drivers I have to hit the f5 key and load them...but is it the hard drive drivers that it needs or the motherboard SATA drivers...?

I don't actually have a floppy drive...is there another way to put the relative drivers on cd...?

Cheers.

Hi!
As far as I know, the only way to install the sata drivers is from a floppy drive... I have WD 120GB sata hard disk, and the only drivers that worked for me I've downloaded from my chipset manufacturer site... don't know why, really... (of course, I've tried motherboard drivers - original & new; hard disk sata & raid drivers...)

p.s.: it's F6, not F5!

When you get the message from Xp install to press F6 to install drivers you do not have to do that. XP have built in drivers. Best way is to remove all drives execpt the SATA drive, verify that you BIOS setting have enable the SATA ports and startup the computer with the XP disk booting from the cd rom. Everything should work great. Once you are installed add any other drives you wany/need.

Brian

:Beowulf005
I did a few hundred of sata/XP installations, the build in xp sata drivers are really not much good, you always get a message drive not found. The only way at this time is to use a floppy. Xp will not accept anything else, we tried with usb/firewire drives etc. it just does not see them. The drivers are dependent on the mainbord used and are always supplied with the mainbord, sometimes on a floppy other times on the cd and you have to transfer them to the floppy.
Regards

Jurgen

I assure you mean floppy since it has the required files you want to use to install the SATA drive, but the computer doesn't have a floppy drive on it. I would try coping the files onto a CD and when prompted swap the cds.

Most motherboard manufacturers distribute the drivers for the integrated Serial-ATA controller on a CD along with all other drivers and support software for the motherboard. What you need to do is to copy the appropriate Serial-ATA driver files from the CD to the root folder of a floppy diskette in the A: drive. Beware that your motherboard's driver CD may contain multiple Serial-ATA drivers which may not be for your motherboard's Serial-ATA controller, but for different models.

Once you have the correct Serial-ATA drivers on a floppy diskette in the A: drive, you can then press 'F6' when prompted at the start of the Windows XP installation process, to specify aditional controller drivers. Windows' setup will then read the A: drive, and display a list of all the drivers which it found there, and ask you which one to use.

If your Serial-ATA controller is not integrated into your motherboard, the procedure is basiacally the same. Just remember that you need to have the appropriate drivers on a floppy diskette in drive A:

- James.

My memory is not as good as it should be, and neither is my memory.

I have forgotten more than I can remember

You can also alter your XP installation disk to include the proper SATA drivers right in the installation. You can do a Google search for "Unattended XP Install". Here is one of the most complete sites I have found.
Hope this helps.

If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

I agree an experienced user can do a driver integration. What is absolutely nuts is the insistence on a floppy. I had some sympathy originally when few BIOS versions supported USB natively, and when a writable CD was incredibly expensive.

For XP this is unlikely to change. If you believe published gossip reports, for Longhorn all the prior installation methods essentially will be thrown out. The entire process should be much faster, as it will write an image and then discover from the image what is needed.

With my first SATA Build, The motherboard CD had a program that you ran like this:

<Boot to DOS with CD-ROM Support>
D:\SATADRV.EXE
Choose 'P' for SATA RAID5 Drivers
Insert Floppy

And it transfered the files to the floppy. However, if I booted from the Motherboard's CD, it allocated my Floppy Drive to Drive B:. That's fine, except the program that you must run ONLY works by copying files to Drive A:! Fools. In the end I had to boot with my Windows 98 SE CD, and then run the files from the CD-ROM (which was allocated to Drive M: for some bloody reason) to the floppy, which was correctly in Drive A:.

A bit of a hassle, but good news is Windows XP x64 has built-in support for SATA, and Longhorn will definately aswell. (Not sure about Windows 2003 Server...)

Error Message:Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in you
thread779-972802

Thanks for all your info guys.

I am totally SHOCKED! That I need to go and get a floppy drive,to get the new sata up and running...this seems to be really backwards of Microsoft...as most company's/people are not including/buying floppy drives anymore....?

What happens when they stop making floppy drives...or the connecters for the drives on PSU's...?

Oh well...!

Thanks anyways guys.:(

sunny3,

It is an odd issue with Microsft. SONY, which develped the standard, announced two weeks ago they no longer will make 3.5" media.

There will not be, prior to Longhorn, an OS option to install RAID or SATA drivers other than a slipstream, or a floppy.

Longhorn it appears will identify drives as reported by the BIOS, and lay down a single image. From there it will try to sort out hardware device drivers.

I hate to tell you this, but grab a floppy drive from somewhere and install it.

Will do...Any news on when Longhorn is due for release...?
I'd get it just for this easier installation method!

Cheers.

Longhorn Beta version 1 is almost ready to be released, after that comes Beta 2 and then finally Longhorn. At the earliest, you might see Longhorn early next year, but I don't really know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back