Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How TO Install Windows 2000 in a different partition? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun1350

Technical User
Apr 7, 2000
MY
Visit site
I have a primary partition (C drive)which is installed with Windows 98 and I have created a logical (D drive).<br><br>I intend to install Windows 2000 professional in the D drive. How could that be done?<br><br>

Try using a product like Boot Magic from PoweQuest (it comes with Partitiaon magic )<br><br>It allows multiple o/s/ boot partitions and I believe will support Win 2K on a non primary partition - alot of your success will depend on win2K's albility to live peacefully on a non-primary drive.

Win 2000 needs a Primary partition to work right as per MS and Partition Magic. With PM&nbsp;&nbsp;(Version 5 is the best) you can make your &quot;D&quot; bootable as a primary partition. I have 3 primary partitions with Win 98 on #1(which has PM on it)#2 has Win 2000 & #3 has Win 2000 Server) and you can go from there. Some Win 2000 CD's will not boot to install so you can make 4-3.5 disks from the CD which will boot for installation. Search the CD for making bootable 3.5 disks files.<br>Hope this helps,<br>Ron Nelson

Thanks for the I advice. I have managed to install the Windows 2000 Professional on my D drive and I have Windows 98 on my C drive. It works fine on my D drive.<br><br>There is a minor problem. Since the first installation of my Windows 2000 was corrupted, I was asked to run setup again. I did as I was told and the installation is a success. However, when I boot up my computer, The Windows 2000 boot loader showed me 3 options. The first and second options are to load Windows 2000 and the third oprion is to load Windows 98. <br><br>The second option is from the earlier installation of Windows 2000 which has corrupted. How could I removed away this option?

The first thing to do to remove the boot listing of the bad first installion is to go to search for &quot;Boot.Ini&quot; in your good Win 2000 directory. If you do no see it in search (find) go to Dos prompt and type in boot.ini, it should come up,(I had to do this)Go in EDIT and erase the bad comand that shows Installation of your first go around.Be sure it's the right line,not your 2nd installation. Save the boot.ini and reboot.The bad first installation should not show up on the boot selection.<br>Ron Nelson

I'm afraid I could not locate the Boot.ini file. Could anyone let me know the exact location where the file is located?

boot.ini is located directly in the root (c:\ or d:\) but you will not be able to display it since the folder options in Explorer are set by default to hide protected OS files. <br><br>To get around that, open Search -&gt; For Files dialog, select Folder Options from the Tools menu. Go to View tab and uncheck &quot;Hide Protected Operating System Files&quot;.<br><br>Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back