Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Install w2k on athlon 2200+

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbongo

Technical User
Oct 29, 2001
NL
Bought a new motherboard and CPU. (Asus a7v33 & Athlon XP 2200 +).

When everything was setup and I tried to start up for the first time, the computer froze up during start up.

Tried to reinstal w2k with original cdrom. But again the computer freezes up during the installation.

Then I tried to format the harddrive with help from an win98 start up disk. No problem. But installing win98 gives me the same problems.

Then I read somewhere that win98 has problems with amd processors operating at higher busspeeds. So now I tried to format the Harddrive out of windows 2000 (made it a slave on a friend computer) So far so good. But I can't tranfer the system. In other words: I can't boot from that harddisk now. (and booting from the cd-rom and installing isn't working either).

So my question is: Have any of you experienced the same problems I have or does have anyone a solution for me. I'm getting to the point to throwing the damn thing out of the window...

Thanks in advance,

Walter

Are you saying the first time, it installed correctly, but froze the first time you tried to run it after that?

Have you disabled any virus checker in the bios (can cause problem with install)?

Most common cause of your problem is bad hardware.

Try using just one stick of memory (if you have more than one, and memory type allows) - try each on its own.
Remove all 'unecessary' hardware (eg, sound, modem, network cards, CD writers, zip drives etc).

Now try installing again.

If still problem, swap out graphics card. What about your power supply - is it adequate for that speed Athlon (plus other hardware)?

PS. You're not overclocking? Another thing you could do is try underclocking the cpu (depends on your mobo/bios how fine control you have over this, but should be able to). Could also try running memory at slower speed.

Thanx for your quick responce.
The first time I didn't have to install since it was already on the harddisk that I took out of my old computer (celeron 900)

I only have one dimm of 256 mb ddr 333mhz. I've look in the Bios setup menu, but can't change the speed.

The computer is running as clean as can be. No sound, or Pci cards installed. on board Sound and FW have been dsiabled. I've tried to swap videocards. New one is a radeon 9000 64 mb. The older one is Matrox g400 16 mb. No difference. Computer hangs on both.

Still desperate....

walter

As for the power supply. It's a standard 300w powersupply. The monitor function in the bios menu does not show a high temperature.

As for overclocking. I'm using the standard settings. I've tried to underclock it to 1350 Mhz, but the computer will not start up at all then. The bus speed is set to 133Mhz with a multiplier of 13,5 resulting in 1800Mhz.

Walter,

'The first time I didn't have to install since it was already on the harddisk that I took out of my old computer'

There's your likely original problem - operating systems don't like changing machines ( gives instructions for how to avoid problems when you do - but probably too late for you).

Have you actually tried a clean install booting from the win2k install CD? Ie, use its partitioning tools to remove (not just format existing) all partitions and create & format a new one for this installation? (ie, nothing on disk & NOT using an fdisk/format prepared drive).

If you have then your machine either has bad hardware somewhere or not compatible with win2k hardware somewhere.

PS. On the underclocking - can you set it to 133x13 for example (ie, just a bit down). Or can you adjust FSB speed? (I mention this as I have to underclock my XP1700+ a little - FSB is at 129 instead of 133 - machine freezes at 133).

Wolluf,

For some reason I can't make any partitions or format when using the win2k install cd-rom. It does boot on the cd, but freezes just after the point where it askes you to make a selection (enter to instal, r to repair or f3 to close setup). After pressing enter or r the computer freezes up completely. I have to take the powercord out to start up again.
Also I've tried to make bootdisks and setup win2k using them, but again without any luck.

I've been busy underclocking (thanx for telling me how to) at several speeds and multipliers, but unfortunately without any result.

Instead of a software error, I'm beginning to think more and more of some hardware faillure. Memory, Motherboard or CPU. All other components have been disabled (like onboard sound) or swapped (like the video card and harddisk).

First thing I'm going to do tommorow morning (shoppes have closed by now) is to get some new DDR memmory.

Once again thanks for the help...

Agree about hardware.
btw - on power supply, my local supplier recommends 350W for XP1900+ and above (just a comment - good 300W will doubtless be good enough - but a poor one might not be)

Bought a new ddr-module, but again no luck....

Somebody told me it could be the harddrive that is causing the problem. I have a Fujitsu 3409at 40 GB harrdrive. Which operates at 5400 RPM. This person told me that the faster Athlon CPU require a min of 7200RPM.

In my opionin this person is totally wrong. Can anybody shed a light on that???

It's your memory or defective motherboard,even though it's brand new still could be defective. Swipe out motherboard for troubleshooting purposes.

wbongo

Disk rotation speed is irrelevant. Any disk that the bios recognises is ok.

You've almost certainly got some sort of hardware problem - the difficulty is identifying the culprit.

Set the FSB all the way down to 100 MHz, and try the installation again. I've built a couple of AMD XP-based systems that would not allow a Windows installation unless I set the FSB down to 100 MHz. The installation then worked without a problem, and I set the FSB back up to 133 MHz, and everything's been fine since then.

Rich (in Minn.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back